Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,535   Online: 1024

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    boohoo guys
    ???? I don't quite understand your rather terse response. Agree, disagree, that's fine - just please articulate your position.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    He is young , very good connections, I am sure he will figure it out and if he has the right stuff will survive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    very good connections
    Always a good thing..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfiltz View Post
    Always a good thing..
    Often more important than any other quality....
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Wow..you people are harsh..no wonder I stay away from forums. Last time I checked, when it comes to "art", someone's turd is often someone else's gold. There are squeaky clean images and prints out there, (which often reads boring) from good artists and printers that don't sell, and crazy stuff that does. Passing judgement and ragging on someone who may not be making art to your taste is a wonderful exercise in futility. If the kid is good, and/or his last name helps his career, God bless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me it is very positive and refreshing seeing people actually calling crap by it's name these days. Too much of everything being cool and "I really like it" causing that more remarkable stuff is lost in the noise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As a photographic student I feel he is coming along quite nicely. I have been teaching photography since the late 70's and for the most part beginning photographers "discover" the same subjects and themes year after year. His work is not unique for that matter. It will take him years to really develop into a style that may or may not be marketable beyond his last name. This early attention, totally undeserved in my estimation may in the long run hurt him if he isn't strong enough to forge on.

I wouldn't be so hard on him. Give him a chance and check back on his work in another 3 or 4 years.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Wow..you people are harsh..no wonder I stay away from forums. Last time I checked, when it comes to "art", someone's turd is often someone else's gold. There are squeaky clean images and prints out there, (which often reads boring) from good artists and printers that don't sell, and crazy stuff that does. Passing judgement and ragging on someone who may not be making art to your taste is a wonderful exercise in futility. If the kid is good, and/or his last name helps his career, God bless.
    I agree with you as long the "kid" is good I don't care who his father, mother brother, sister, dog, etc.. is but if he only has the name but lacks quality then I have a problem with the kid being pushed and getting jobs. I also believe that nobody really complained about the photos as such but about the poor processing which I doubt was planed or was/is part of his art. Some of his images are not bad at all, but the poor processing dust etc kills them.

I also agree with Eric Rose "This early attention, totally undeserved in my estimation may in the long run hurt him if he isn't strong enough to forge on."

I wish him the best of luck and hope that he learns to either spot his prints and clean the scanner or that he creates images that fit the dust/processing.

Dominik

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Eric says much better what I was trying to say. His last name helps him but he will certainly need to adjust and my money is on him doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    As a photographic student I feel he is coming along quite nicely. I have been teaching photography since the late 70's and for the most part beginning photographers "discover" the same subjects and themes year after year. His work is not unique for that matter. It will take him years to really develop into a style that may or may not be marketable beyond his last name. This early attention, totally undeserved in my estimation may in the long run hurt him if he isn't strong enough to forge on.

I wouldn't be so hard on him. Give him a chance and check back on his work in another 3 or 4 years.

Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    If you're going to capitalize on the Avedon name, and get the NY Times to run an article about you, then you'd better be ready for the attention. Eric is right, he may just need maturing, and his work is no worse than any first year photography student. But it sure as shit doesn't say "Avedon" and it sure as shit doesn't say New York Times-worthy. One of the things his grandfather was noted for was immaculate printing. If you're going to claim his mantle, then start where he left off, and be a damned fine printer, or hire one. Or pull an Anderson Cooper and don't use the Avedon name - after all AC's REAL last name is Vanderbilt. As in Gloria. And Cornelius. But he went out and did his journalism thing without using the name that would have always had folks saying he got where he was because of strings, not because of talent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin