Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
If you're going to capitalize on the Avedon name, and get the NY Times to run an article about you, then you'd better be ready for the attention. Eric is right, he may just need maturing, and his work is no worse than any first year photography student. But it sure as shit doesn't say "Avedon" and it sure as shit doesn't say New York Times-worthy. One of the things his grandfather was noted for was immaculate printing. If you're going to claim his mantle, then start where he left off, and be a damned fine printer, or hire one. Or pull an Anderson Cooper and don't use the Avedon name - after all AC's REAL last name is Vanderbilt. As in Gloria. And Cornelius. But he went out and did his journalism thing without using the name that would have always had folks saying he got where he was because of strings, not because of talent.
I get it, Scott, trust me. Unfortunately, this happens all the time, in every segment of the art world..music, acting, painting, etc. There are those who deserve attention and fame and never get it, and those who just always seem to get all the breaks, without merit. Getting revved up about, I see it as kind of pointless. First of all, news stories are about generating controversies, buzz, sensationalism, and for all we know, the NY Times article could have been totally unsolicited. Good or bad, if it gets people to talk, it's always good. This kid may suck, but's he's obviously getting some attention (hey, we're talking about him). It may be for all the wrong reasons, but it doesn't really matter. At the of the day, if he keeps on sucking, the Avedon name is only going to carry him so far and, on the other hand, if he gets to sell what someone, somewhere, sees as mediocre art, or his limited talents because of his last name, that's his choice and it certainly wouldn't be the first time it happens. I don't agree with it, and it is a slap in the face of those who are immensely more talented than him and will get nothing, but that's the way it goes, and I certainly won't lose any sleep over it