Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,547   Online: 889

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

NY Times Lens Blog - a new Avedon

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link, unfortunately after checking out his website (http://michaelavedon.com/) I have to say Richard Avedon he ain't on the other hand it must be difficult to be compared to Richard Avedon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're right. He can't print worth bananas, if he's doing his own printing. If he's shopping it out to a lab, he desperately needs to fire his lab. But also bear in mind that he's still a 1st year student at ICP, which isn't exactly an MFA program or Brooks Institute.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    You're right. He can't print worth bananas, if he's doing his own printing. If he's shopping it out to a lab, he desperately needs to fire his lab. But also bear in mind that he's still a 1st year student at ICP, which isn't exactly an MFA program or Brooks Institute.
    Yes, he's a first year student with a number of underexposed and poorly composed images on his website, and he's landing gigs for fashion magazines? I guess it really does matter who you know, and not what you know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Yes, he's a first year student with a number of underexposed and poorly composed images on his website, and he's landing gigs for fashion magazines? I guess it really does matter who you know, and not what you know.
    Well, part of the trend in fashion lately is shooting poorly exposed, poorly composed holga-esque images and presenting them as 'edgy'. But what would us old dinosaurs know?

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    To be honest after reading the article in which he throws around some big names and that he has a magazine spread to his name I expected more. As I've stated before he is a poor slob because he will forever be compared to his grand daddy who had a very different style, maybe Michael Avedon will find his own unique style in the future sloppiness ain't one imo. Wouldn't want to be him to be honest the last name thing.

For the holga look that is in fashion. I excuse his framing and exposure what I do not forgive is the dirt (dust, etc..) on the prints, it doesn't fit the images, my opinion would be different if the images were supposed to be gritty streetshots or something similiar and not portraits of his grandma. They don't look edgy or holga but merely sloppy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, perhaps holga-esque was inapt - more 'craftless' or 'artless'. The "snapshot" aesthetic taken to the nth degree. But I agree, it looks really sloppy and unprofessional, in part because there's no consistency to the artlessness/craftlessness. It just looks lazy. This could very well be a reason why the NYT never ran any of his photos along with the article, just the portrait their 'tog took of him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah...he needs to fire his scanner, too. And possibly his website designer for that AWFUL initial navigation.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    boohoo guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin