Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,323   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Sebastiao Salgado in Washington Post

Here's a link to some recent photos in the Arctic by Sebastiao Salgado:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...y.html?hpid=z8

And some info from Canon re: his present equipment:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...ado_genesis.do

Interesting that he used to shoot medium format, but went di*ital in 2008 (see page three of the Canon article). Doesn't view images on a computer, but has "proof sheets" printed and eventually a true physical negative created from the digital file and a silver print made. What a great printer he has at Dupon in Paris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for sharing. Salgado is one my my favorites, so it's always good to see new work from him...even if he did switch to digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He prints everything the analogue way...Great post. A lot of information to go through. The Genesis project looked like a vast amount of work for everyone including the battery & backup equipment carrier. Great b&w photos. Must have used a fairly good amount of cards also.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 12-25-2012 at 11:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for sharing.. Great series and would wait for the book / exhibition..

thinking what adaptation Canon did to make a 35 mm DSLR appear as a 645 as claimed in the interview..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by debanddg View Post

thinking what adaptation Canon did to make a 35 mm DSLR appear as a 645 as claimed in the interview..
    It said "...adapted so he sees a 645 frame." That seems to me to indicate a modified focusing screen.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. Amazing documentation of a dying way of life. Their comfort with the cold puts my rural northern Minnesota upbringing to shame. Love the shot of the furred-up family in their home/.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Sebastiao Salgado in Washington Post

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    It said "...adapted so he sees a 645 frame." That seems to me to indicate a modified focusing screen.
    Oh I need to do this... The 35mm frame is just annoying... I always frame for the image, so if course I get stuck with cutting off image details or spending a fortune on custom frames...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3:4 = 24mmx32mm. Careful work with a straightedge and a fine tip permanent ink pen on the matte side would suffice, or you could just scribe it so you still have the full width view.
    I masked a Bronica ETRSi screen with black Sharpie to use with my 35mm pano back, and like it better than the screen with scribed lines Bronica made.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Salgado very much - I have 4 books from him at home. I still think the best one is "Other americas".

About going digital: well - his loss. Good that he has money and fame to make second best thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful. I've always liked Salgado, even when I wasn't particularly interested in photography for myself.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin