Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,493   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Michael Kenna Dark Edges

Many of Michael Kenna's images have darkened edges. How is he making this happen!?

Here are some examples:http://www.holgadirect.com/holgadire...michael-kenna/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    he uses a holga.
    burn in the corners with a round dodging tool if you want or buy a $20 crappy camera.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is a characteristic of a Holga camera.. vignetting in the corners. He may have burned additionally to make them darker.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Here's an example from my recently acquired Holga 120GFN, this one using a glass lens but still exhibiting that classic off-axis vignetting. This is a scan of a mini-lab print, spots of dust are from my scanner.

~Joe

Garage001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8379573798_e134a26de0_b.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	62742

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kenna may use a Holga, but his principal camera is a Hasselblad. Rolfe Horn was his printer for a while, and Horn's explanation for some of his own printing is revealing of what one sees in a Kenna print. See the section on technique here: http://www.f45.com/html/mainfram.html
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    Many of Michael Kenna's images have darkened edges. How is he making this happen!?

Here are some examples:http://www.holgadirect.com/holgadire...michael-kenna/
    If you use a Holga or Diana or any of those other inexpensive plastic cameras, you will get darkening on the edges (this is called vignetting). It happens when the lens on the camera does not project an image that is big enough to fit on the film. The size of the image a lens projects is referred to as the covering power of the lens.

However, Michael Kenna, like many (I almost said "all" but that's not true) great black and white film photographers, is a master of printing, so whenever you see one of his images you can be sure he has manipulated it in the printing stage to make the picture look exactly how he wants it to look. The two most basic forms of printing manipulation are dodging (witholding light from the paper so that area of the print becomes lighter) and burning (adding extra light to the paper so that area becomes darker). If you want to know more about it there are many great books out there, including a very in depth book by Ansel Adams called "The Print".

If you want to see what is possible with this kind of creative manipulationlook at this page (Rolfe Horn is a former assistant of Michael Kenna). The results of masterful printing technique are quite remarkable, as you can see:

http://www.f45.com/html/tech/2.html

Edit: Looks like John beat me to the Rofle Horn Link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a lot of "how does Michael Kenna get this look" threads on APUG. You won't know unless you look at the Rofle Horn link - it's not all of the answers, but all of the dodging and burning answer a lot of the questions.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The first picture and the one of the tree definitely look like Holga images - since the article is on a Holga site, I'm guessing most of them might be. The characteristic 'fuzzy' bokeh in those pictures gives it away more than the vignetting - look at the sand in the elephant picture and the wall in the tree image. The picture of the bird may well be Holga too, but only the bottom edges look burned in. So Holga + burning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hmmm. I guess me saying it once wasn't enough. where's the dep't of redundancy.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, it's the Department of Redundancy Department, Dept. and a fine one it is! This video shows him with his Holgablad! ;-))

http://www.michaelkenna.net/interviews/hokkaido_j.html
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin