Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,210   Online: 844

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    The trouble with first names is that we may well be into a biggest names, rather than just greatest. Even then the emphasis would almost have to be on distinct first names. Already, I'm unsure of at least half of cliveh's list; I've got some good guesses, but some half multiple likely possibilities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, so we can make the list have last names only if necessary then. I was tempted to break the list up by genre, which would be nice for people who only shoot or are fans of a certain style, but the dance shirt had no such breakdown. So feel free to break your lists up accordingly if you think they may be biased toward a certain style.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I figured all the dance names out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is my selection for you teeshirt

August
    Ansel
    Dorothea
    Eugene
    Henri
    Man
    Robert
    Sebastião
    Walker
    William

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How can they be the eight greatest when everyone has their own opinion ?, " comparisons are odious ", and what yardstick do you use to compare one with another ?.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Greatest" is a ridiculous list. "Influential" might be slightly more realistic if we try to be somewhat objective. For example, I'd put HCB in the list of 8 most influential. I have to accept that. But he probably wouldn't be anywhere on my list of greatest photographers, no matter how long the list is.

Thinking more about this, even making a list of influential photographers is not easy. Do we mean influential in some sort of complex academic way, or do we define it more simply as someone who has influenced many people to take up the hobby (and the style)? If it is the latter, I'd have to say Ansel Adams 8 times.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    "Greatest" is a ridiculous list. "Influential" might be slightly more realistic if we try to be somewhat objective. For example, I'd put HCB in the list of 8 most influential. I have to accept that. But he probably wouldn't be anywhere on my list of greatest photographers, no matter how long the list is.

Thinking more about this, even making a list of influential photographers is not easy. Do we mean influential in some sort of complex academic way, or do we define it more simply as someone who has influenced many people to take up the hobby (and the style)? If it is the latter, I'd have to say Ansel Adams 8 times.
    For hobbyists, admittedly, Ansel is probably the biggest influence. But that makes for a boring list.
    I tried to think in terms of those who have influenced other notable practitioners - or the lineage of photography.

Who cares who influenced Jim Bob Fine Art Photographer from South Dakota? Probably his high school chemistry teacher...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a fair point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    MAN (ray )
    LAZLO (maholy nagy )
    STARN (twins )
    El (Lazar) (Morduchovitch Lissitzky)
    MIROSLAV (Tichý)

sorry, i can't think of anymore worth mentioning

Shooter
    Large Format
    Robert
    Robert
    Robert
    William
    William
    William
    Gary
    Diane

Substitute Ansel to taste.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin