Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,355   Online: 797

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rena Effendi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Tom and Rbultman (and everyone who took the time to read my little rant).

I meant to stir the pot a little (sorry if I dirtied the nest, not my intent but looks like the outcome).

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone/group... I came right out and said it was a rant and I wasn't entirely serious.

I was just struck again that many of the photographers I respect so much can give nary a thought about which lens is sharper, or what camera is for what process.

I like to help folks with technical issues pertaining to equipment I have used, (I am a bit of a fondler-- although nothing sits on a shelf in my studio... it has a use or it moves on)
    or processes/issues I have been confronted with.

I genuinely was puzzled from my perspective with people with 1000's of posts and no images. That was my perspective, and the thoughtful responses have re-grounded me as to what sorts of people enjoy/benefit from APUG. And I thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sort of understand the rant. I'm more likely to take the advice of someone who has posted images. Without seeing what they can do, it's difficult to know how much skepticism to attach to their "expertise". But, there are certain people who i always heed, as I've seen the quality of their work.
    I post images for feedback (not ego stroking), especially if I'm doing work I'm unsure of, or new at. I've been lucky to get a lot of help when starting with bromoil and liquid emulsions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I am a bit of a fondler...
    There might be other places on the web better suited to your needs.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Medium Format

a proud luddite!

hmmm, i'm here on apug because i like the print - process the film, enlarge and process the print, put it on the wall... or hold it in my hand. my work isn't in the class of stieglitz, cameron, strand, karsh, maier, abbot, etc., and i enjoy it, but a book is not likely.

once you go beyond the print aren't you now in the digital world? not a bad place to be, but an investment in dollars, learning and resources, i choose not to make.

i'm a luddite, and a happy one! AND, I do enjoy seeing others posted work - it is inspiring, worthwhile, helpful. fun. am i getting a "free ride"? maybe - i love it!

jvo

p.s. vpwphoto - wasn't snarky - it's good to mix things up a little and think about it! thanks
    Last edited by JimO; 03-06-2013 at 12:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    p.s. vpwphoto - wasn't snarky - it's good to mix things up a little and think about it! thanks
    I agree with this. It's good to shake it up a little and get thinking about motivations for what we do.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I think if you have 200 posts on APUG and no work posted you should go away... I don't really mean that but I am puzzled with people with 1000's of posts and not one photo to show for it.
    I don't post pictures on here because I don't have a good scanner. If I do post a picture here, it will probably be taken with my little digital P&S and be intended to illustrate something about equipment.
    It is seldom necessary to look at someone's work to grasp what they are saying,even in philosophical discussions. Pictures can add credibility to claims and are useful to illustrate points and questions, no doubt.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I don't have "thousands of posts" ... you won't find my images in the gallery simply because I am not a subscriber and thus do not have the ability to post in the gallery ... and as there are no "image threads" for non-gallery images hosted elsewhere, I don't post images except in relation to developing or printing problems ... as has been pointed out already, a lack of images visible at APUG ( or indeed anywhere on the interweb) bears no relationship to whether an individual is taking photographs or not.

I'm all for stimulating debate, but this seems a rather tiresome and contrived way to provoke it. Also I have backache and am very grumpy tonight.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin