Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,568   Online: 1118

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always admired the directness, and lack of judgement, in her photographs.

** A bit of trivia for those old enough to remember the TV show M*A*S*H- she was married to the actor that played Dr. Sidney Freedman (Allan Arbus), for over 25 years. **

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The psychiatrist on M*A*S*H was Diane Arbus' husband?

Damn Eddie. You're my new hero.

I just LOVE meaningless trivia. And those who happen to possess it. Life just doesn't get any better than to know things like this.

You have done Holy work here. Henceforth I shall speak in whispers and avert my eyes in Your presence. And with guilt bask in Your reflected Glory.

Ken

(Looking down at his shoes as he types this...)
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And before he was an actor, he was a photographer - he and Diane Arbus owned a photographic business together.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Crazy that he was in M*A*S*H. I just wonder how he felt about the theme tune...
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting that link. It gave me an opportunity to look over Arbus' work, 'cause in the past I never really "got" the appeal and just didn't find her photos worth the praise. But I'm warming up to them, there really are some great shots in that 48 photo spread.
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always felt that the appeal, at least for me, is that there is a tiny—or maybe not so tiny—bit of each of us in those photographs. An uncomfortable familiarity that you can't quite put your finger on. Nor do you even really want to. But you look anyway because something out in all that darkness rings ever so slightly true.

You may not have actually been there and done that. But at some uncomfortable point in your life you may not have been all that far away either.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    The psychiatrist on M*A*S*H was Diane Arbus' husband?

Damn Eddie. You're my new hero.

I just LOVE meaningless trivia. And those who happen to possess it. Life just doesn't get any better than to know things like this.

You have done Holy work here. Henceforth I shall speak in whispers and avert my eyes in Your presence. And with guilt bask in Your reflected Glory.

Ken

(Looking down at his shoes as he types this...)
    It was reported on a hoax posting on Facebook recently by someone who is beneath contempt that Allan Arbus had died this year aged 95 , because although Mr. Arbus is 95, he is still alive and well.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I've always felt that the appeal, at least for me, is that there is a tiny—or maybe not so tiny—bit of each of us in those photographs. An uncomfortable familiarity that you can't quite put your finger on. Nor do you even really want to. But you look anyway because something out in all that darkness rings ever so slightly true.

You may not have actually been there and done that. But at some uncomfortable point in your life you may not have been all that far away either.

Ken
    Very true! Arbus pictures are not spectacular and look somewhat familiar even if they show a part of human being we don't want to see. For me, her pictures are less immediatly appealing but much more interesting in the long run than 99% of what I see.

Take care.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    She mainly used a Mamiya C TLR. https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e....926.11j3.14.0 and the interchangable telephoto and wide angle lenses probably ther 65mm and the 135mm.
    I thought she mainly used a Nikon 35mm and a Rolleiflex.

I think she may be my current favourite. I am currently reading through the Taschen book on Arbus. What I find equally interesting and stimulating is her writing. She wrote heaps of letters about her projects and she religiously kept journals. She was clever, witty and extremely insightful. She was a wonderful writer and photographer. Her passion and enthusiasm are infectious and her humility and modesty both charming and endearing.

If I were to have a dinner and could invite 10 of my favourite current or historical characters, Arbus would be there.
    Last edited by Ghostman; 02-06-2014 at 04:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin