Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,414   Posts: 1,596,557   Online: 1139

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I know it's dweebish thing to ask, but what camera(s) did she use most frequently? Some look like them might be made with a Rollei, while others look more wide-angle than a 75mm or 80mm lens would give (yet less than what a Rollei Wide would render). Yet others look like a short telephoto might have been used. Hassie? What? Seems to me she'd want something relatively quiet for some of these.
    weebish,because you know it is irrelevant,right?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just finished the Patricia Bosworth (Diane Arbus: A Biography) and William Todd Schultz (An Emergency in Slow Motion) books. In that order, it's a prerequisite.

The camera equipment she just happened to pick up on any given day could not have been further from relevant to what was apparently going on inside her, and the photographs that resulted.

If you think you understand after only viewing her pictures, you need to read these two books, and maybe the second one twice, then perhaps rethink.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It was reported on a hoax posting on Facebook recently by someone who is beneath contempt that Allan Arbus had died this year aged 95 , because although Mr. Arbus is 95, he is still alive and well.
    It should be noted that Allan Arbus died on April 19, 2013, about 5 weeks after this post.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    An interesting fictional account based on Arbus" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422295/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I just finished the Patricia Bosworth (Diane Arbus: A Biography) and William Todd Schultz (An Emergency in Slow Motion) books. In that order, it's a prerequisite.

The camera equipment she just happened to pick up on any given day could not have been further from relevant to what was apparently going on inside her, and the photographs that resulted.

If you think you understand after only viewing her pictures, you need to read these two books, and maybe the second one twice, then perhaps rethink.

Ken
    Have you read Revelations? http://www.amazon.com/Diane-Arbus-Re...bus+revelation That's the only Arbus book I have and I thought it was a fairly thorough look at her life and photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Have you read Revelations? http://www.amazon.com/Diane-Arbus-Re...bus+revelation That's the only Arbus book I have and I thought it was a fairly thorough look at her life and photography.
    Not yet, no. But I plan to. The Schultz book post-dates Revelations by about eight years. He refers to it in several places.

It's worth noting that Revelations is an estate-authorized work, whereas the Schultz effort is not. Accordingly, there was no assistance rendered by the estate to the author (and no included Arbus photo illustrations either). But the upside to this is that Schultz was able to delve far more deeply into areas that are most definitely off limits. Or even taboo.

Bosworth is a fairly conventional biographical work. It's an interesting read and establishes a common framework of understanding. Schultz is a psychological biography, and is quite the different animal. Bosworth attempts to answer the what. But Schultz attempts to answer the why, a far more difficult task.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin