Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,824   Online: 913

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Photography of Diane Arbus

The Photography of Diane Arbus

48 photographs, a number towards the end I had not seen before.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ken,
    always a trip to look at many of those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks also. I enjoy those pictures.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always enjoyed her work, its always so easy to get hung up on a picture for a few minutes examining the details in each one, and wondering about those people and their lives at that point in time. There web images dont do her work justice though, anyone remotely interested should grab a book or try to find a museum that have some prints hanging.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I know it's dweebish thing to ask, but what camera(s) did she use most frequently? Some look like them might be made with a Rollei, while others look more wide-angle than a 75mm or 80mm lens would give (yet less than what a Rollei Wide would render). Yet others look like a short telephoto might have been used. Hassie? What? Seems to me she'd want something relatively quiet for some of these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I know it's dweebish thing to ask, but what camera(s) did she use most frequently? Some look like them might be made with a Rollei, while others look more wide-angle than a 75mm or 80mm lens would give (yet less than what a Rollei Wide would render). Yet others look like a short telephoto might have been used. Hassie? What? Seems to me she'd want something relatively quiet for some of these.
    She mainly used a Mamiya C TLR. https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e....926.11j3.14.0 and the interchangable telephoto and wide angle lenses probably ther 65mm and the 135mm.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-12-2013 at 08:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Huh -- hadn't thought of the Mamiya TLRs, despite having owned one and several lens years ago. Nice cameras, very heavy, very versatile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Huh -- hadn't thought of the Mamiya TLRs, despite having owned one and several lens years ago. Nice cameras, very heavy, very versatile.
    Agreed, you get a truss for your hernia with every one you buy , I have two (cameras, I hasten to add,not hernias) and I still use them regularly.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-12-2013 at 04:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Intense photographs.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read a bio once and always thought the underground darkroom in NYC would be a trip to check out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin