Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,301   Online: 935

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weston/Modotti?

Shooter
    35mm

Weston/Modotti? Revised with jpg attached

Hi,

I have an Arts et Metier "Photographie" annual from 1936. There is an index listing photographer, hometown, subject and occasionally info about camera, exposure etc.

There is a gravure in there which is in the index as "X.....". No photographer, subject...nothing.

I may be going nuts, but I'm convinced that it is a portrait of Tina Modotti by Edward Weston.

I've attached a jpg, can someone put me out of my misery?

Regards,
    Charles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weston Edward Tina Modotti.jpg  
    Last edited by cmacmail; 01-11-2005 at 03:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacmail
    In the meantime, can someone put me out of my misery?

Regards,
    Charles
    Charles,
    I hope that you are asking us to "set your mind at ease," rather than "put you out of your misery."
    When you get a chance, please post the gravure and I am sure someone on this site can help you.
    We're a friendly bunch here at APUG, and we generally don't put people out of their misery.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Edward and Tina had broken up by then. So it would have to be a reprint of an old photo. But won't know till you post the picture.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    35mm
    The "break up" may be the reason for the anonimity, the "X...". Weston contributed numerous images to this publication, and this looks like a more calm and sedate version of earlier images like "Tina Reciting" etc.

I'm aware that I'm busy talking myself into this, but regardless of who actually made this image, the resemblance is striking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well here is the closes simular pose of Tina I found--

http://peoples.ru/art/photo/modotti/

I think it is Tina.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A strong resemblance, yes. I believe Tina had more rounded earlobes & slighty less arched eyebrows. (pg 215 Tina Modotti Photographer and Revolutionary) I don't think anyone can know for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While we are on the subject of Weston and Modotti, here's what I don't understand. Here we have a very ordinary-looking, middle-aged guy, who apparently never lacked for beautiful young women who wanted to pose for him and be his lovers. What the heck was his secret? When do I get someone like Tina Modotti or Charis Wilson?

Shooter
    35mm

I will tell you his secret

Every photographer has a secret. Edward Weston's was pyrogallo and a total lack of responsibilty to his family. I doubt that any woman could long compete with his love of his dry mounting press.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Remember that we only have the "Daybooks" as reference. Edward removed the names of his conquests, so we don't know who to ask to give their side of the story.
    We only have conclusive evidence of 5 women- his wife, Margaret Mather, Tina,Dodi, and Charis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    ....and a total lack of responsibilty to his family..
    in your opinion...the fact he maintained a good relationship with his sons, seems counter to that comment.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin