Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,004   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was certain that Imogene Cunningham had famously quoted about preferring to be an amateur, but I can't find it on line. Still...I think it was she.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry for being no help but
    the only thing that comes to mind is:
    " sure i like kids, if they're properly cooked" wc fields
    To expand on this a woman once said to Fields

"It is obvious Mr Fields that you don't like children."

To which he is said to reply waggling his cigar

"Nonsense my good woman, parboiled and in a good sauce they are always delicious."

Fields supposed dislike was part of his stage persona. In real life he left part of his estate to found an orphanage. What he did not like was appearing in a scene with a child actror who he said would always steal the scene.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    It may be Kertesz - but it was the not quote mentioned. I will attempt to find it today! In the quote I'm looking for, he makes a stab at professionals....or professionalism....

Shooter
    35mm
    I found it! Here it is.

"I am an amateur and I intend to stay that way for the rest of my life. I reject all forms of professional cleverness or virtuosity.... As soon as I have found the image that interests me, I leave it to the lens to record it faithfully. Look at reporters, amateurs - both of whose sole aim is to gather a memory or a document; that is.pure photography." Kertz, 1930

This a quote at the front of the self titled book "Andre Kertesz"
    Last edited by mporter012; 03-28-2013 at 12:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try www.photoquotes.com. A search for "amateur" returns 7 pages with quotes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    "I am an amateur and I intend to stay that way for the rest of my life. I reject all forms of professional cleverness or virtuosity.... As soon as I have found the image that interests me, I leave it to the lens to record it faithfully. Look at reporters, amateurs - both of whose sole aim is to gather a memory or a document; that is.pure photography." Kertz, 1930
    Best understood in its historical context, it's a reaction against the dying 'scientist as photographer' idea of his era. It's not really applicable today, since now we're up in arms about accessibility of the medium - and in turn amateurism. His term 'professional cleverness' for example would get you laughed out of many a room. Be careful to whom you recite this quote!
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    35mm
    Very interesting to consider the context of when/why he said this and the current Instagram is photography age we're now in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin