Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,171   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Quote by famous photographer on being an amateur -

I read a quote the other day by a famous photographer and I cannot for the life of me find it online. It went something like this -

''...i wish to stay an amateur, i reject all forms of professional fakeness.... blah blah blah''

Damn I can't find this anywhere. It was a wonderful quote though.

Does this ring a bell!?

Shooter
    35mm
    This isn't real close, but does it sound right?

"Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstaedt
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sorry for being no help but
    the only thing that comes to mind is:
    " sure i like kids, if they're properly cooked" wc fields

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Elliott Erwitt is notable for insisting he's an amateur. And he's always saying pithy things! Probably him.

"I am a professional photographer by trade and an amateur photographer by vocation." etc.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    35mm
    haha, no those aren't it. I shall find it yet -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The attitude of it sounds a little like Weston to me (I just read the daybooks). He did portraits for pay, but he really didn't like it and I think that's what was considered "professional" in those days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kertesz?

"I am an amateur," photographer André Kertész said in 1930, five years after he had left his native Hungary for Paris. "And I intend to stay that way for the rest of my life." In 1961, a year before Kertész retired from what he described as eleven "lost years" working as a magazine photographer on contract to Condé Nast, Kertész reiterated his declaration. "I still regard myself as an amateur today and I hope that's what I'll stay until the end of my life. Because I'm forever a beginner who discovers the world again and again."

http://www.photoeye.com/magazine/rev...ndr_Kertsz.cfm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Per ooze's quote, sound like it may have been Kertesz. But I can't pass a chance to bring up one of my favorites. I believe it was Elliot Erwitt, the quote was something along these lines, "It's about time we start getting serious about photography, and treat it as a hobby!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Quote by famous photographer on being an amateur -

I've been listening to Jeff Curto's 'History Of Photography' classes, he makes a very interesting (maybe even enlightening?) observation on the origins of the term 'Amateur' in the photographic world... #3 (I think) in the 2013 spring class

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I remember talking to a professional woodworker and he said he was a bit jealous of amateurs. They can spend as much time as they want on a project until they are happy with it and are free to experiment and switch styles. Sounds like a parallel to the art world.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin