Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,365   Online: 731

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    If you want my opinion, unvarnished, unphotoshopped, I would send her a print of the photo of her at left having her picture taken and burn the others.
    laaame

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Number 3 has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Your bromoil portraits are the most interesting and beautiful things I have seen in recent memory. Very inspiring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, I'll bite. #1 seems somehow flat, devoid of character compared to the other two. I think #2 shows more of a twinkle in the eye. At first glance I liked it the least, but after several looks it is the one that sticks with me and that gives the most of a hint at what her character might really be like. I also think that it is the one of the three that will work best with your intended processes, thanks to the more contrasting background and the much better eyes. You can make it work or not depending on how you handle the bromoil. What is really important in my view is that the eyes are not lost in the process.

Shooter
    35mm
    I immediately prefer no.1 because of the nature of the shadow and the quality of the half smirk. I also like the catch in her left eye... you really can't go wrong having to choose between the three, though!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Number 3 has by far the most interesting look. It captures my imagination and it's a dignified way to present her to the world.

I think you should play around with colorful bromoils prints, for sure. Your creative self will take over once you get into it, and you will find a good way of making something extraordinary, Emil. Like you always do.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Joe (can I call you Jo? )

I think there's a world of difference in polititians here and in the States (?)... I have a Hungarian student who almost into schock to see her without bodyguards or lots of very black cars surrounding her....

I have the distinct feeling that Marianne Jelved (the minister) has a lot of humour... (whether she has it regarding her portrait is another matter though..)

But I think when I have decided on which negative to use, I'll make maybe 5 images and then try out different bromoil techniques to see what works or not...
    It was just a thought. Good luck.
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Minister of Culture (!?!), Jeez. After reading your relativistic responses, us Americanos are so foreign to the league of sensibility expressed in your neck of the woods, that it is almost suicidal to express any opinion. So off the cliff I go...

None of the first three come close to cutting it for me, and would likely, in these parts at least, put me in great physical danger from the sitter if published. As it seems unlikely to repeat the session, the fourth at least illustrates the process of the artist with the minister. I agree with (the laaame) desertratt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would print one of the three (I think they all have qualities that make them worthy of a good print) that you believe most shows that good humor. My choice is number 1, though 3 is the most conventional. I would then suggest you work your magic on number 2, since she seems almost impish in that, and if I may say so, that fits your style. Give her both images. She may want to display or reproduce the straight shot for public consumption, she will either love the altered image or hate it, but give her a chance to do one or the other. It's not as if you were going to publish the altered image without her permission. She is receiving a gift from a talented and distinguished artist- she will most likely be grateful.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't understand the negative comments, but then again, I am American.

I think the portrait is exquisite from her wry and noble expression all the way to the details in the scarf.

An example of a bad portrait would be the one on her Wikipedia page.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, for me it's either #1 or 2. But I like #2 best, there's a certain mischievous look to her expression. Sort of an "I've got my eye on you" look, in a good maternal/paternal way.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin