Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,409   Online: 697

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

A new daunting challenge....

..self initiated, I' afraid...

My school has just built teo brand new houses for our students, and this monday we got out Minister of Culture up here to officially open these houses...

I don't really know how, but I managed to get her to go into my studio for some portraits..

I went "crazy" and took four exposures.. and today I developed them. three out of these four could be used for my project.

I have the ides to make her into a Bromoil print (surprise) but I am in doubt on what kind of bromoil to make:

A straight beautiful image with a single warm tone?

A "wild" bromoil with messed up background?

A multicoloured bromoil with wild and changing colours?

Many possibilities...

I would like to hear your opinions on this. I made a big double portrait one and a half year ago, and there I got so many nice ideas and comments..

(see here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum54/9...-portrait.html )

I'll upload the three straight scans of the negatives I developed today, and my bigest question is: which one to use?
    Which do you prefer..

(I'll also upload an image showing me and the minister in the studio... digishit, but just to show you the setting... I can delete it again.)

I hope you'll help me - I am out of my depths..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marianne-jelved-123.jpg   emil2-72.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would use number 3, but crop it to show just head and shoulders and then make a slightly warm tone image using black/brown ink.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just my opinion:
    1 has a better smile, and looks more personable.
    2 - I don't like the angle her head is at. I like this exposure the least as well.
    3 looks more dignified and proud, and less shadow on her left cheek.

I think 3 is the best exposure, but I like her expression in 1 best.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like #3 best- having her sit higher in the frame makes her look more energetic and more commanding. I'd play around with all three types of bromoil but I think a multi-colored one would be very impressive, and from the looks of her, the one she'd like the best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would love to see your final product.

I think they're all great, but 2. is definitely my favorite. I think she shows the most character there. 3. is my second favorite.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I have been looking and looking at theese three images, and I think I am in agreement that number two is out...

The number three was made for a couple of reasons: Firstly she is a rather small person, so every time we see her in tv, the interwiever and camera are looking down at her...

Secondly; If I am going to make a big bromoil and this should hang higher than "our" eyes, then it would look silly for her to look up (?) - she should be portrayed as the strong, kind person she in fact is...

I'm leaning towards nr three..

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gandolfi (can I cll you Gan?):

I spent 20+ years working in and around Washington DC, almost 10 years with the US Information Agency TV unit (don't jeer, I needed the money) and the one thing I learned is that most politicians have NO SENSE OF HUMOR when it comes to their image. Beyond that, what was her personality like. Was she warm and approachable, cold and distant, unreadable? Did she laugh and have a good time during the photo session or was it like a bad funeral? If so, she may respond to a more 'lite hearted" approach to a print. On the other hand, if she was cold, distant or unreadable, I'd favor a more straight approach. Less chance for fallout on you and the school.

I have a hard time telling from the three portraits where she falls in the 'warm and fuzzy' scale (10 is a purring cat that feel like a stuffed animal but licks your face, 0 is Dick Cheney) To play it safe, try making a semi straight one of her, but make a neg from the digipix and just go crazy on it.

All the best,

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Joe (can I call you Jo? )

I think there's a world of difference in polititians here and in the States (?)... I have a Hungarian student who almost into schock to see her without bodyguards or lots of very black cars surrounding her....

I have the distinct feeling that Marianne Jelved (the minister) has a lot of humour... (whether she has it regarding her portrait is another matter though..)

But I think when I have decided on which negative to use, I'll make maybe 5 images and then try out different bromoil techniques to see what works or not...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking forward to see what you'll get out of it! I thought number two looks more personal than the others, but number three would be equally good.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Obviously, you've never seen what Emil can create with bromoil.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin