Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,809   Online: 766

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Shawn, that is true. Have you considered the motivations of the two authors, and why the picture of the man is different?

Best,
    Merg
    Hey Merg! Hope you are doing well. I have given that a fair amount of thought, based on information in the biographies themselves and some other interviews I've read. It would seem the authors certainly had different experiences with Brett...

On another note, I listened to your Lenswork interview again a couple of weeks ago while working in the darkroom. It may be the best .99¢ I've ever spent. =)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Hey Merg! Hope you are doing well. I have given that a fair amount of thought, based on information in the biographies themselves and some other interviews I've read. It would seem the authors certainly had different experiences with Brett...

On another note, I listened to your Lenswork interview again a couple of weeks ago while working in the darkroom. It may be the best .99¢ I've ever spent. =)
    Hi Shawn, good to hear from you, all is well here.

I took a look at your new work, and some old. You have a very fine portfolio accumulated over a few years. Congratulations! I bet those contact prints are real gems. My early work, the first ten years, were all 4x5 contact prints. The small prints demand a close look. I have never understood the big print craze so often seen these days. I guess ink made it easier to go big, although Ansel was printing large in the 1950's; some mural size on commercial assignments. Of course, his subject matter did not suffer from being large.

Almost had forgotten the LensWork interview, glad you found something worthwhile in it.

Keep in touch.

Best,
    Merg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you so much, Merg. That means a great deal to me. I am a big fan of your work (and stories!)

For me, nothing quite compares to the intimacy of small, jewel like prints.

Best.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Hi Shawn, good to hear from you, all is well here.

I took a look at your new work, and some old. You have a very fine portfolio accumulated over a few years. Congratulations! I bet those contact prints are real gems. My early work, the first ten years, were all 4x5 contact prints. The small prints demand a close look. I have never understood the big print craze so often seen these days. I guess ink made it easier to go big, although Ansel was printing large in the 1950's; some mural size on commercial assignments. Of course, his subject matter did not suffer from being large.

Almost had forgotten the LensWork interview, glad you found something worthwhile in it.

Keep in touch.

Best,
    Merg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part 2 is up. Can't wait to watch this tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54z_...ature=youtu.be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like they moved the video for Part 1. Here is the new link for that as well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9gxDGWebdc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Part 2 is up. Can't wait to watch this tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54z_...ature=youtu.be
    Shawn, thanks for the reminder.

Best,
    Merg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're welcome.

Gina Weston mentioned that "We have enough footage for 2 more!"

I hope that comes to pass.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Trivia: The black book on the table is, "Brett Weston at One Hundred" --- sans slip case. Only one hundred copies printed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the one I desperately want to read... but cannot afford! =)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, the one I desperately want to read... but cannot afford! =)
    Nor could I, but was rewarded for contributing to the project. There are, by the way, none of Brett's photographs reproduced in the book. It is a tribute to Brett in writing, mostly by those who knew him early in his career --- the 40's, 50's and even the 60's when he was struggling to make a living. I recall in 1968 his print of Garrapata Beach was offered at the Focus Gallery in San Francisco for $45. I checked the print bin on every visit and it was still there, month after month.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin