Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,872   Online: 1158

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Uelsmann

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Jerry Uelsmann

AM sure many of you have already seen this but thought I would post anyway.

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/...al-photography
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! There was an exhibition of his work at the James Michener Museum in Doylestown, PA earlier this year. I was amused that there were pieces that at first look might scream "PHOTOSHOP" and then next to it is the title card "Silver gelatin print 1968."

They had a short video showing him in his darkroom with about 5 or 6 monster enlargers lined up so he could make setups and then create multiple prints as a sort of assembly line operation. In a lecture about him at the museum, someone commented that he was very generous in explaining his techniques to others -- then suggested that was because even after he told you, you still couldn't do it!

Awesome work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    INTERESTING, THANKS FOR THE LINK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the post Ann. I have admired his work from the time I began shooting; he continues to astonish with his imagination and his execution.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Last year in my summer teenage darkroom class I was talking about burning and dodging and some one said "oh, Photoshop" and I said "oh, no darkroom".

It is amazing that so many people don't realize that those techniques come from a long traditional use of the darkroom. But then so many people have very little knowledge about the history of photography, so I suppose that makes sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On Lynda.com, there's a series on Jerry Uelsman and his wife Maggie Taylor. It seems Jerry didn't take to Photoshop while Maggie Taylor did.

http://www.lynda.com/Photography-tut...ducttypeid%3a2
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Am a bit confused, Jerry is very old school. All that work is being done in the darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He was teaching at the University of Florida the year before I graduated. A very gracious man. I'm sorry that at the time my understanding of his work was not very good. His technique was incredable.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He was doing these before I was born, he's old school alright. And I've loved his creations for a long time. The thought that goes into them is incredible enough, never mind the execution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's interesting that the use of photoshop as a verb has a perjorative meaning. "That image has been photoshopped", in other words the image has been falsified.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin