Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,536   Online: 912

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Until jnanian provided the link to the recording I was having trouble imagining the sound of my favorite photographers saying "Photography", for I have read speeches before but don't hear too many of them...

I, for one, am going to be kicking back in front of the radio tonight listening to this recording.

We need to get out and do talks like these. We need to write more like this. And yes, we need to go out and take some more photographs which themselves are more compelling than the actual experience we witness.

Now to connect the audio out to the radio transmitter...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    brassaï is pronounced like " braaws ay ee " the two dots over the the ï ( tréma ) makes it so you pronounce both vowels separately
    laszlo moholy nagy is pronounced in hungarian like "mo-hoy-neug"

moholy nagy is the godfather of modern graphic design and plastics work,
    he did much more than make bauhaus perspective, and type+graphics-photographs and invent photograms ( simultaneously with manray ).

thanks shawn

- john
    OK, I'm sticking to typing them. Neither is anything like how I was guessing.

I caught about 2 minutes of the Today show the other day and they were giving some highlights from some recent study of regional pronunciations of words like caramel. The maps for each word were different, too. Kinda interesting (and something that's been discussed a bunch on APUG - especially the two countries divided by a common language stuff).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After decades of reading I must admit I only recently realized I was mispronouncing Catechol. It got me thinking about all the other photochemical compounds I read and write about. I'm probably mispronouncing several.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can hear me say 'photography' next Tuesday at 1pm (Pacific Time) on our local college station (live streaming).

http://www.khsu.org/listen_live

Just a painter and I talking about an upcoming fund-raiser (Art in the Garden). I will demo the 11x14, and the painter how to paint outdoors.

PS -- I have no idea how I pronounce it.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hungarian is pronounced exactly as it is spelled EXCEPT for some proper names. In the case of Moholy-Nagy the left part of his name is pronounced exactly as it is spelled but the right is pronounced Nadj. Think of the sound of dge in the English word nudge.

A friend who is from Hungary told me that spelling bees do not exist there for they are rather pointless.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-07-2013 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    After decades of reading I must admit I only recently realized I was mispronouncing Catechol. It got me thinking about all the other photochemical compounds I read and write about. I'm probably mispronouncing several.
    Wait...how do you say it?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    ... photographs which themselves are more compelling than the actual experience we witness.
    to paraphrase Gjon Mili in that recording, whose word "immobile" sounds quite different than I'd ever heard before...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After decades of reading I must admit I only recently realized I was mispronouncing Catechol.
    "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."

Actually the smell of catechol is not that bad. It reminds me of the smell of an old time drugstore before pharmacists became merely pill counters.

Or perhaps, "Catechol, Catechol wherefore art thou Catechol?
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-07-2013 at 10:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I caught about 2 minutes of the Today show the other day and they were giving some highlights from some recent study of regional pronunciations of words like caramel. The maps for each word were different, too. Kinda interesting (and something that's been discussed a bunch on APUG - especially the two countries divided by a common language stuff).
    Sounds like a great segment, Bethe! I love that sort of thing. "Creek", as you've surely heard by now, has a couple different pronunciations here in western Pennsylvania...

I've no idea how to pronounce that either... Been wondering since I started mixing it in 2004.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin