Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,828   Online: 1111

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I pronounce as fuh-tog-ruff-ee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    Anyone else see the irony?

What is with all the grumpy people on forums these days? When I was young the expression "Get a life!" was popular. Maybe it should be brought back.
    I've had a long and eventful life, I just don't want to spend what's left of it contemplating how people with their various speech patterns pronounce the word "photography".
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've had a long and eventful life, I just don't want to spend what's left of it contemplating how people with their various speech patterns pronounce the word "photography".
    And you've made that clear... yet here you are again, thinking about it... reading about it... posting about it. You're hilarious!

Linguistics! Pronunciation, enunciation, local - regional - colloquial vernacular. And especially in the context of the medium I (we) love. That interests me and at least a few others here. So why keep bitching about it? Wow....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    You can always ignore it. Not hard to do. I ignore lots of things on the internet.

I speak a few languages and have always been interested in permutations inside a language as well as how languages influence other languages.

I don't think my life will ever be long enough for me to stop being interested in the world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybuzaid View Post
    I pronounce as fuh-tog-ruff-ee
    Thanks, Jim. This is also the most natural way for me to pronounce it. I've been trying to put the first "o" back into it as of late but old habits are hard to break.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like saying "taking pictures".

Reason: It drives some people absolutely up the wall, because they think somehow their use of a camera is more noble than 'taking pictures' and insist they are 'making images' or 'capturing light' or some such nonsense.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

Reason: It drives some people absolutely up the wall, because they think somehow their use of a camera is more noble than 'taking pictures' and insist they are 'making images' or 'capturing light' or some such nonsense.
    'Take' and 'make' definitely apply to very different photographic methodologies. It's not just about being pedantic - but these days, anybody who takes something seriously for more than 20 minutes is pretentious. I like taking and making pictures, and use the words interchangeably, depending on how I'm shooting and, I'll be honest... who I'm talking to. You don't speak the Queen's English when chatting with the plumber.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    'Take' and 'make' definitely apply to very different photographic methodologies. It's not just about being pedantic - but these days, anybody who takes something seriously for more than 20 minutes is pretentious. I like taking and making pictures, and use the words interchangeably, depending on how I'm shooting and, I'll be honest... who I'm talking to. You don't speak the Queen's English when chatting with the plumber.
    I know you know that my reply was tongue in cheek. Just having fun, and poking fun at the establishment. It's lovely to watch some people cringe when I utter those words. Noted photographers like Sid Kaplan calls them 'snaps'. Who cares?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Furtographers take pichers.

I once had a thousand business cards printed and they spelled it Photograper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

I've found myself saying that "I'm exposing some film" to avoid using either. Don't want to be to low or high brow.

Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Furtographers take pichers.

I once had a thousand business cards printed and they spelled it Photograper.
    =) Do you still have the cards?

I hear the word pictures pronounced "pitchers" all the time...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin