Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,526   Online: 947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Glad you enjoyed them! I'm looking forward to the second half of each.

If you are questioning what Epson's motivation for making and hosting these videos was, well... I have no idea. I'm just glad that they did!
    I'm just suspicious. Perhaps Part 4 drops the bomb and both photographers pronounce "as good as darkroom photography is, I now use EPSON printers and papers..."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just looked at the first two John Sexton videos and am somewhat suspicious also; I hope these marketing videos do not end as you suggest which is predicated on the misplaced idea that "if John Sexton uses EPSON then that is what I or everyone else should do so as well"...

Tom

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Or Epson is gonna take over an abandoned B&W photo paper factory in Eastern Europe and start competing with Ilford in the analogue market. ;-)

And the world is flat and square

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	square-flat-earth-map.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	667.5 KB 
ID:	70893
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'm just suspicious. Perhaps Part 4 drops the bomb and both photographers pronounce "as good as darkroom photography is, I now use EPSON printers and papers..."
    Not according to John in his latest news letter in which he mentions these Epson videos. He's 100% analog for the foreseeable future, and also intends to keep using Kodak film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of people working with Alternative processes are contact printing using digital negatives prepared with Epson printers.

And as I posted above, a lot of people use both film and digital procedures.

So what has Epson to lose by promoting high quality photography?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Not according to John in his latest news letter in which he mentions these Epson videos. He's 100% analog for the foreseeable future, and also intends to keep using Kodak film.
    I don't think so Dale. =) That would be a hell of a bomb though! Michael is correct. Plus, I believe Epson is a workshop sponsor of Sexton, if not Weston.

As others have said there is major crossover between the inkjet and analog worlds. I plan to make analog prints as long as possible, and may even switch to wetplate if silver materials dry up. That said, I also plan to produce a handmade book in the next year or two. I will most likely print it with an Epson printer...

I think that until we see that 4th installment I'm going to just enjoy these videos for what they are! Entertaining.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They're all up now. No earth shakers about leaving silver gelatin in the Sexton video... I haven't watched the 4th installment of of Kim's video yet so the rug could still be pulled out from under us there... =P

In all seriousness, these videos are are very well made. Check them out if you have some extra time. I love John's "Mr. Zone" license plate!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin