Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,720   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Paul Strand: where can I see original prints?

I'm wondering where one could view original prints of Paul Strand - I realize they are all owned these days either by private collectors or by museums. The last time I can recall a show of his work was one that toured the country more than ten years ago. Perhaps the curators of his photographs are concerned that any more exposure to UV will further degrade them. (The lighting in this show was very dim). For any not familiar with Strand's silver prints, they are, I believe, the most perfect jewels ever created on photographic paper. Particularly the work done in Gaspe, New England and the Southwest. To me, these prints are the absolute benchmark of what the medium can deliver. The latest book about Strand was of gravure prints, made from very early negatives. Of course, gravures can stand to be exposed more, and are not as "valuable" as the silver prints, some of which are one of a kind. Anyway, I live within a day's drive of NYC, where I guess one would have the best chance of getting a viewing.

Shooter
    35mm

Library of Congress

I have never been to Washington DC. It is my understanding that the Library of Congress has a huge photo archive and that one my ask to see specific prints which they will be shown.. My understanding may be entirely flawed or the may have changed practices. Why not check out google using "paul Strand prints" as well as "library of congress"?.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Strand

I'm sure that you can find some hanging in the permanent collection of the MOMA.At least a few to speak of.To my recollection they always had the Westons,etc. hanging up for the public to see. Haven't been there since they re-opened but it seems illogical that this stuff is stashed away in boxes.
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhphoto
    I'm wondering where one could view original prints of Paul Strand. ....For any not familiar with Strand's silver prints, they are, I believe, the most perfect jewels ever created on photographic paper.
    You can see the last portfolio, On My Doorstep, at the Library of Congress. It's in the Madison Building, if memory serves me well, which is across Independence Ave. from the main building. There's a tunnel which connects the two buildings under the street.

The prints were made by Richard Benson under Strand's direct supervision and Strand signed the portfolio. There's an excellent essay on their collaboration in the Spring 1994 issue of Aperture, which was a Strand retrospective.

Frankly, I've found much of his silver work to be muddy and dark. But he was certainly a visionary poet of the eye. Well worth a day of your time if you happen to be around here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    I'm sure that you can find some hanging in the permanent collection of the MOMA.
    Peter

Is that the SF MOMA? or...???

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

NY/MOMA

Gaussianoise- Of course us NY'ers think we're the center of the world so yes I was relating to the NY MOMA. Didn't even know there was a SF MOMA.Aside: Todays front cover of the NY times has an article that the main donor to the museum has walked away because he thinks the museum is in too many places.
    Hey-what exactly is Gaussianoise? Just curious........
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a link to the Lee Gallery http://www.leegallery.com/strand.html which seems to have several of Strands works. As an aside, I just picked up a book from Aperture - Paul Strand Southwest - http://www.aperture.org/store/travex...hibition_id=31 which I can highly recommend if you are interested in his work. One of my favs from the early 20th century photographers..after all his negatives inspired the likes of Adams..
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    Todays front cover of the NY times has an article that the main donor to the museum has walked away because he thinks the museum is in too many places.
    Peter--you're thinking of the Guggenheim, which has been more entrepeneurial/commercial/populist in recent years than MOMA. Here's the article--

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/ar...rtner=homepage
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Much of the beauty of Strand's prints are due to very subtle toning, so slight that it's almost unnoticable. Before the Richard Benson printed portfolios, he never made more than a few, sometime only one, print of his negatives. Interestingly, Strand never had his own permanent darkroom until he was over 60, relying on converted closets and bathrooms (no wonder his first two wives left him).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link to the Lee Gallery - but in searching their inventory, sure enough, they posess about ten images, 2/3 of them photogravures. At least this gallery is close to home (Vermont) so I'll try to get in there next time I'm down "south" in MA. I think one of the posts re: NY MOMA is probably my best bet. Last time we were in NYC the museum was closed for renovation. Time to visit again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin