Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,851   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Meriel, LensWork 56

The work of Olivier Meriel was in LensWork #56. This is the first time I saw his images. I was wondering if anybody else had a reaction to his printing? I found it ponderous! Detail was obliterated with the heaviest edge and sky burns I think I've ever seen...then again maybe that's what he's going for..."a luxuriant and peaceful landscape" enveloped by the specter of war and death?

I know art doesn't have to be pretty. An artist can shock, disturb, or use any manner of socially uncomfortable means to express their art...what does Meriels work do to you?

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I saw it and I liked the effect and mood he created. The heavy handed nature of the burning I feel was intentional.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    what does Meriels work do to you?

Murray
    Makes me feel extremely competent.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My first reaction was that his images were very powerful and moody. My second reaction was that he had really heavily burned in on many of them. The equilibration process was slow after that, but in the end the more I looked at them, the more impressed I was that he had really brought out strong feelings in the images, though in a way that I would never have been comfortable doing myself. There's a fairly long thread on this over at that other photo site. It is under B&W Printing and was posted on 1/8/05.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Meriel's burning in is far heavier than what I usually do, but very similar in nature. The only possible "incompetence" I could see is that he might have slightly uneven negative development, it looks as if all the edges are overdeveloped. But that in turn makes it impossible to decide what is intentional burning in, and what is uneven development. I'm certain of SOME burning, and quite uncertain of lots of other cases.

But considered as pictures ("artwork"), his were the most interesting images in the magazine...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    Makes me feel extremely competent.

Let me modify my smart a** crack. I think he did the burning intentionally to create a particular mood or feel in his prints. It is a little heavy handed in my opinion, but hey, they are his prints.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not to knock Brooks or diminish the quality of Lenswork in anyway, but I had a conversation with a photographer in a recent LW edition who stated that some of the images were not identical to his work as published in another book. He showed me the same images in his book vs Lenswork and there was a noticable difference. {I actually preferred the LW images but didn't say that to the artist.}

It may be that in publication or scanning, subtleties were lost or exagerated. If the artists sent published works vs artists proof prints there maybe a dual scan loss or exageration.

I felt the same way when I viewed an AA print in person and compared it to a mass produced calendar print. The original print had more subtle grain, warmer tones, and softer local contrast than did the prints in the calendar. I liked the contrast in the calendar better, but now understood the differences between mass printing and hand printing a fiber paper.
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Overdone, in my opinion. It confuses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by esearing
    Not to knock Brooks or diminish the quality of Lenswork in anyway, but I had a conversation with a photographer in a recent LW edition who stated that some of the images were not identical to his work as published in another book. He showed me the same images in his book vs Lenswork and there was a noticable difference. {I actually preferred the LW images but didn't say that to the artist.}

It may be that in publication or scanning, subtleties were lost or exagerated. If the artists sent published works vs artists proof prints there maybe a dual scan loss or exageration.

I felt the same way when I viewed an AA print in person and compared it to a mass produced calendar print. The original print had more subtle grain, warmer tones, and softer local contrast than did the prints in the calendar. I liked the contrast in the calendar better, but now understood the differences between mass printing and hand printing a fiber paper.
    You make a fair point re original images losing quality when reproduced but Meriel's printing is IMO overdone and in some images downright sloppy: for example, the image on page 48 has a goodintepreation of light in the foreground yet he has chosen to burn in what are white fluffy clouds to a muddy grey. I have no problems with heavy prints with lots of burning in, I do an enormous amount on some of my own images, but I think these are way too heavy.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    After looking at Meriel's prints in LW, my comment is that it appears that in most of the images the upper left quadrant of each image is burned down. (Burned? How about incinerated?) Anyway, if that's what Meriel wanted, then by gosh and golly that's what he achieved.

I can guarantee that what you see in LensWork is exactly what was submitted for publication. A great deal of effort work by Brooks insures that what is submitted is reproduced exactly in LensWork.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin