Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,300   Online: 903

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    That why I say I think it's largely a pragmatic decision. His world (the one of photojournalism) changed around him. Salgado went to digital, with a stated reason being the difficulty of getting film safely through airports.
    I think going digital is about getting the images out safely, you can upload via remote satellite feed if need be... To get the images of the afghan girl out, Steve had to hand sew the film into his jacket that he wore through security at the airport.. He sewed the strips into the lining of the jacket in complete darkness remember... Not easy)...

Digital upload is way easier

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Background for those who may not have already seen...

The Last Roll of Kodachrome—Frame by Frame!
    By David Friend, Photographs by Steve McCurry
    Vanity Fair online, February 9, 2011

"I've been shooting digital for years, but I don't think you can make a better photograph under certain conditions than you can with Kodachrome... Kodachrome had more poetry in it, a softness, an elegance." —Steve McCurry

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 06-19-2013 at 10:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fantastic assortment of bears and mo's. Heavens, probably without even trying...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    She was angry with him at having to show we face and scared, but in her culture she did as a man asked, that's why she has those haunting eyes, it's anger and fear. She was pulled out of we classroom for the shot to get better light and he chose her specifically. It almost ruins it when you read the full story, but the image is what inspired me as a photographer. It was on my wall from the time I was 12 till 28... I also own the original national geographic periodical (somewhere). I might be obsessed. Also the original slide is not quite as saturated, thank the touch up guys for that.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    When that issue came out, the cover made people stop in their tracks. I still remember where I was when I first saw it, to give an idea of how strong an impression it made. I can say that about no other image. San Francisco, Safeway store at Bush and Larkin, magazine rack on the right as you walk through the entrance.
    I picked up a copy and just stared at it. It was remarkable to see the reactions of others, stunned and then drawn to it. I of course bought the copy.

I have been interested to see how differently the color has been rendered when printed. Sometimes all the nuance is lost, with green rendered as blue and vice versa. Most amazing was the multiple color in the child's eyes, usually mostly lost. I have seen a photographic print of it which was superb, and the closest rendition on printed matter I have seen of it was a Nikon poster.

Few pictures really affect me. That one did. Not because of its gorgeous color, but because it smacked me with the reality of what it is like to be a child refugee.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    lxdude, that picture affected everybody, but especially showed the human face of a country incessantly at war. The emotive effect was not confined to the USA. It was picked up in India, Pakistan, Russia... the earliest form of "going viral" long before the internet happened along to do things like that in a split second. I think NG at once stage produced a large poster for sale of this image? In Doctors surgeries now and then, well-thumbed issues of McCurry's NG (1985?) can still be found, with that colour-perfect, clear-eyed Pashtun girl staring point-blank at the viewer. Even the web pictures are not a patch on the original (and there are some appalling parodies of the famous work). I agree that I too would like to see how the Kodachrome slide has fared over the ensuing three decades. I wonder if McCurry has actually had any printed, for himself, friends or colleagues? He doesn't even look like Steve McCurry, now 63 I think. An interesting website that if anything showed the natural colour of Kodachrome that drew millions of people to it.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I think going digital is about getting the images out safely, you can upload via remote satellite feed if need be... To get the images of the afghan girl out, Steve had to hand sew the film into his jacket that he wore through security at the airport.. He sewed the strips into the lining of the jacket in complete darkness remember... Not easy)...

Digital upload is way easier
    Do you have a reference for this?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Background for those who may not have already seen...

The Last Roll of Kodachrome—Frame by Frame!
    By David Friend, Photographs by Steve McCurry
    Vanity Fair online, February 9, 2011

"I've been shooting digital for years, but I don't think you can make a better photograph under certain conditions than you can with Kodachrome... Kodachrome had more poetry in it, a softness, an elegance." —Steve McCurry

Ken
    He has also referred to it as
    "The Gold Standard"
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    McCurry was honored with theKnight of the Order of Arts and Letters in France around 25th May. That's quite a gong.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Do you have a reference for this?
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've never heard that about this photo. And the wiki about it makes no such reference to this either:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why should it make reference to something that was potentially deadly in that time, place and era? What if it was a secret, and remains so? What if McCurry himself would decline to answer? Lots of places to uncover the truth, but Wiki is not one of them.
    McCurry's own biography may also shed clues on what actually happened — and a few other things too.

—Anon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin