Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,155   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    A lot of insecure people on here.
    ad hominem

Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Even for non photographers his images are instantly recognizable whether they know his name or not.
    Extremely talented, Mr. McCurry has been both blessed and cursed by a single photograph he took in the 1980s. That photograph is the only "images" most people think of at the mention of "McCurry".

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbau View Post
    I used Kodachrome from 1977 until about 1990, looking back I don't understand why it was so popular, it was very contrasty, often blocking up shadows even when exposure was spot on and it never met a green that it didn't hate. What was worse is that its colour rendition changed markedly depending on its age. ...
    I thought that but wasn't going to speak it out loud or write it down for fear of being beaten by an angry mob.

I don't miss Kodachrome too much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I thought that but wasn't going to speak it out loud or write it down for fear of being beaten by an angry mob.

I don't miss Kodachrome too much.

you won't hear any angry words from me brian ...
    i don't think i ever used it ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The point is not Kodachrome but – in this case – film in general. McCurry (who doesn’t know him can simply google the name) has been considered for a lot of time a “film ambassador” and now he says that he is not anymore using not only Kodachrome (that’s obvious) but any other film or slide...
    www.damianofedeli.it/english
    _______
    "I am a man, and nothing human is alien to me" (Terence, Latin dramatist)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, in that case... when film becomes unavailable or unprocessable I'll move on too. I can afford to hold out longer then mcCurry and his peers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For a color photographer, one in particular who travels a lot, I don't see why he wouldn't be shooting digital nowadays.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a love-hate relationship with Kodachrome. Loved 25, hated 64. More correctly, despised 64. But yeah, ok, shoot whatever you want to shoot. Nobody's gonna stop you. Until they take YOUR "Kodachrome" away. Been there, done that, thanks Fuji for yanking Reala and Astia from me.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    I've been taking photographs since 1947 and professionally since before 1960 and I never heard of Steve McCurry so who cares?
    Then you don't read a lot on photography. Which in itself is your loss, not anybody else's.

As for the sentiments expressed: A working pro will of course have a different perspective to a bunch of analogue weekend and holiday shooters. Take it for what it is. It is not as if McCurry has pronounced film dead, or is in a position to do so. One can of course also learn from him, in that one has to have an eye on the future of one's craft, and cannot stake it all on a single company with a rocky recent history.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve Mccurry went nearly 100% Digital before the End of Kodachrome the Kodachrome thing was just marketing nothing else. He is a good photographer no doubt but his choice of medium shouldn't concern me or other photographer it's his personal choice nothing else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Steve Mccurry went nearly 100% Digital before the End of Kodachrome the Kodachrome thing was just marketing nothing else. He is a good photographer no doubt but his choice of medium shouldn't concern me or other photographer it's his personal choice nothing else.
    Exactly, like a lot of NG photogs, he went digital awhile ago, heck I was forced to back in 1994. Unfortunately what happened to quite a few of these seasoned chrome shooters is that they lost their style when they went digital and they only went because they felt forced to in some ways. But not all of them have completely abandon film as in David Alan Harvey's case in using medium format Tri-X for several ongoing projects.

I don't think it is really good for this site's cause to call sour grapes on people who switch methods of image gathering and for those who say silly things like "Who is Steve McCurry" you know as well as I do how dumb that sounds when you can simply google him and see. Why don't you say what you really mean and parrot out "I don't really care who no longer uses film, I do and will".

Next year will mark my 20th year in using digital for full time pro work. Personally, I am ready to be done with it, overdue in fact. But what I might be ready to be done with more is the internet due to topics like these that make people look like a bunch of whiners. There is one member here who will attest to my reaching the boiling point over the weekend in terms of the web as I totally unplugged from Facebook after too much BS about the industry as well as other factors.

It's just the same old stuff in this kind of thread, someone does not use film anymore, some people did not like Kodachrome, some people did not like Kodachrome 64, blah, blah, blah.....do you even shoot anymore or just talk about it?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin