Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,860   Online: 895

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ... some people did not like Kodachrome, some people did not like Kodachrome 64, blah, blah, blah.....do you even shoot anymore or just talk about it?
    LOL

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Lets clarify , Steve Mccurry is a man that Kodak gave the last roll of kodachrome to shoot. What he did ? He found a 40 dollars autofocus Nikon camera and finished it. I think We must not get him serious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Lets clarify , Steve Mccurry is a man that Kodak gave the last roll of kodachrome to shoot. What he did ? He found a 40 dollars autofocus Nikon camera and finished it. I think We must not get him serious.
    OK, clarification it is then.

Eastman Kodak Co. chose Steve McCurry to shoot the last roll of Kodachrome that was manufactured. He shot it in a $2,449.00 Nikon F6 along with a D700 to check lighting until it was absolutely perfect then exposed the film. He was sponsored in part by National Geographic as he chose to shoot the things that resonated with him be it overseas in India or hanging out in Robert Deniro's home theatre in NYC. By all accounts, while he did not surpass the emotion of "Afghan Girl" he did do the film justice in term of it's color palate, nuance and chose fine subject matter.

Dwayne Steinle, owner and namesake of the lab in Parsons Kansas shot the last roll to ever be processed as it was at the end of the 100+ roll batch that I saw emerge. I shot the last roll in terms of it's chronological order and had over 50 rolls on that last batch that came out on January 17th, 2011...*the* last images ever shot on Kodachrome film that was processed in official Kodak K-14 chemisty.

Jeff Jacobson shot quite a few rolls up until the last day and has come out with a wonderful book with some very dreamy and personal images called "The Last Roll". If I can ever stay off the web long enough, I will come out with my book which is looking *really* good called, "The Kodachrome Project".

Clarification complete....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 06-18-2013 at 12:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's just the same old stuff in this kind of thread, someone does not use film anymore, some people did not like Kodachrome, some people did not like Kodachrome 64, blah, blah, blah.....do you even shoot anymore or just talk about it?
    Well, PKM-25, no one is forcing you to read the thread, much less comment on it or complain about its tone. I'm sure you've heard that before as well. It's really a bit arrogant to tell people to go take pictures rather than discuss things they're worried about. I feel sure most of us do this when shooting is not an option, ie. stolen moments at work, etc. Many of us also steal moments to do a little shooting, too, but sometimes we just worry out loud.

To the original post, I would say I only care about high-profile photographers like McCurry giving up film if it hurts the availability of film for me. Many of us are worried, not about some other photographer's choice, but about our own choices being curtailed or terminated because no one buys enough film. We're worried about the impoverishment of the art form due to the demise of the medium we love.

Whether another world-renowned photographer's giving up film has a cascading effect on others' purchase of film, and thus on my ability to get it, I don't know. But the concern about that effect is why I read these threads, myself. Whether these types of threads are helpful to the survival of film, I doubt. But give us all a break, sometimes people who love something and are worried about it just need to do some hand-wringing about it to release the tension!
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    SNIP

Personally, I am ready to be done with it, overdue in fact. But what I might be ready to be done with more is the internet due to topics like these that make people look like a bunch of whiners. There is one member here who will attest to my reaching the boiling point over the weekend in terms of the web as I totally unplugged from Facebook after too much BS about the industry as well as other factors.

It's just the same old stuff in this kind of thread, someone does not use film anymore, some people did not like Kodachrome, some people did not like Kodachrome 64, blah, blah, blah.....do you even shoot anymore or just talk about it?

there is a thread a week like this here on apug, and has been for years.
    yes, people are whiners, but aren't they allowed to whine and empathize with eachother ?
    photography is their hobby, and when they see a "big name" bailing, well, it can't be good ...
    its not hard, to ignore threads like this ..
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-18-2013 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Worrying and whining does not a film photo make...
    Not making film photos will add to the potential in the reduction of film....
    Posting threads about film's said demise or ones that even worry about it will surely help it lose traction on the google search addicted internet......

"Get busy Living or get busy Dying"...Morgan Freeman in the "Shawshank Redemption".
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    ..... What he did ? He found a 40 dollars autofocus Nikon camera and finished it. I think We must not get him serious.
    Are you implying that imagery that speaks to it's viewer cannot be attained by using a "40 dollars autofocus Nikon camera"?
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Get busy Living or get busy Dying"...Morgan Freeman in the "Shawshank Redemption".
    He also said ""Clap on, clap off the Clapper".... Morgan Freeman in "Bruce Almighty".
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eastman Kodak Co. chose Steve McCurry to shoot the last roll of Kodachrome that was manufactured. He shot it in a $2,449.00 Nikon F6 along with a D700 to check lighting until it was absolutely perfect then exposed the film.
    I'm kind of disappointed. For the "you push the button, we do the rest" company, one might hope that their high-profile product would end its days in the world of vernacular photography---used the way millions of customers always used it, to take dubiously-focussed snapshots of Aunt Muriel and Uncle Vernon standing beside their new Chrysler.

See, this is why major multinationals don't use me for high-profile marketing campaigns.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    He shot it in a $2,449.00 Nikon F6
    Is there idiots who pay this amount of money to an japanese camera ?

Are you implying that imagery that speaks to it's viewer cannot be attained by using a "40 dollars autofocus Nikon camera"?
    Only I say if american president invites you to a ball at whitehouse , you must spend to suit and codes and traditions.

That mcurry ran to india to shoot another poor indian villager photograph. And americans felt and prayed to their state how advanced and rich they are. This poor man photography of national geographic stinks.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin