Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,790   Online: 968

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    umut -

i know exactly what you mean ..
    there are poor people in every corner of the USA
    but i guess only 'exotic poor" sells ...
    and what is more exotic and filled with contrasts
    for western eyes to oogle over than india ...

a few thousand dollars for a japanese camera isn't expensive at all
    when you consider the first KODAK was sold it cost 3 month's pay($25) in 1888 ...
    ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwBlf3AeLRM )
    ===

if someone is shooting color for posterity, they should abandon color film altogether
    and shoot tri-chormes ( black +white + filters )
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-18-2013 at 07:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    there are poor people in every corner of the USA
    but i guess only 'exotic poor" sells ...
    and what is more exotic and filled with contrasts
    for western eyes to oogle over than india ...
    Well this is why his pictures are seen as 'chocolate box' material, critically, whereas someone like Alec Soth - working closer to home - is photographing both something he and his audience know intimately, which leads to - dare I say it - 'deeper truths'. I feel Soth is very right when he talks about the importance of concentrating on his own culture. In the case of art, I think travel really does narrow the mind. Not to say that McCurry's work isn't beautiful, but I find it difficult to buy into his "foreigners are human too!" conceit.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One day my brother-in-law, violinist, told me why I was still using those obsolete film cameras, so I answered him why he wasn't playing an electric violin with a midi controller instead his much loved 2 centuries old one. I use film, that's all about it, I do not need to evangelize anyone about what is sin and what is virtue, and certainly I don't give a shit about what anyone else uses or enjoy, that's up to him/her.
    Last edited by Muihlinn; 06-18-2013 at 03:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: 'cos I can
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed. For the "you push the button, we do the rest" company, one might hope that their high-profile product would end its days in the world of vernacular photography---used the way millions of customers always used it, to take dubiously-focussed snapshots of Aunt Muriel and Uncle Vernon standing beside their new Chrysler.

See, this is why major multinationals don't use me for high-profile marketing campaigns.

-NT
    Perhaps you jest but I think you've touched on something there. Kodak's fortunes certainly didn't come from the McCurrys of this world, but from the Aunt Muriels. It's the difference between selling your heritage and respecting it enough to embrace it.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Well this is why his pictures are seen as 'chocolate box' material, critically, whereas someone like Alec Soth - working closer to home - is photographing both something he and his audience know intimately, which leads to - dare I say it - 'deeper truths'. I feel Soth is very right when he talks about the importance of concentrating on his own culture. In the case of art, I think travel really does narrow the mind. Not to say that McCurry's work isn't beautiful, but I find it difficult to buy into his "foreigners are human too!" conceit.
    Well, it varies from photographer to photographer, it seems to me. Werner Bischof seems to me like someone who often did very well at photographing the "deeper truth" rather than the exoticism, for instance.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (Aunt Muriel)
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Perhaps you jest but I think you've touched on something there. Kodak's fortunes certainly didn't come from the McCurrys of this world, but from the Aunt Muriels.
    I think I was about 60% serious. Of course Kodachrome was in significant measure a pro product, especially after the 1970s when amateur use of slides went way down; in the adult lifetime of anyone younger than about 50, I think, Aunt Muriel would more likely have been on Gold 200 or something like that...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Is there idiots who pay this amount of money to an japanese camera ?

Only I say if american president invites you to a ball at whitehouse , you must spend to suit and codes and traditions.

That mcurry ran to india to shoot another poor indian villager photograph. And americans felt and prayed to their state how advanced and rich they are. This poor man photography of national geographic stinks.
    I realize there is a language difference between us. However, many people have paid more than that for cameras from many countries of the world.

That being said, I am not aware of anything that says cameras from Nikon and Canon are substandard.

I believe that either I misunderstand last paragraph, or you misunderstand the people of this country. There are many religions here, as well as those who eschew any religion. We even have people who believe that rocks and crystals have special powers. However I am unaware of any religion that worships the state.

Many here are fortunate to have a good standard of living and access to current technology. That does not make us "better" than anyone else, or any place else. We are all human beings. Where we live does not define us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting answers. I really do think that digital is the way to go for speed alone on the international stage of travel. What irks me is its dependence on a computer. Good for McCurry to have jumped onto the wagon years and years ago and get the most benefit of knowledge and skill from it. Eventually, that's something we'll all be forced to do in the future, like it or not.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Smart photographers with a sense of posterity shoot Portra for colour, Ilford for black and white. Every other film is a fleeting novelty.

What ya reckon?
    There's many other great choices?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Interesting answers. I really do think that digital is the way to go for speed alone on the international stage of travel. What irks me is its dependence on a computer. Good for McCurry to have jumped onto the wagon years and years ago and get the most benefit of knowledge and skill from it. Eventually, that's something we'll all be forced to do in the future, like it or not.
    Ian Ruther might disagree.

http://vimeo.com/39578584

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin