Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,436   Online: 825

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Smart photographers with a sense of posterity shoot Portra for colour, Ilford for black and white. Every other film is a fleeting novelty.

What ya reckon?
    I partially disagree but it's a matter of subject matter, I personally HATE portra (I'll eat my words someday but for now this is my stance) and I think Fuji H is worse, I like Ektar100 and Velvia50 and provia100f for color.

B&W I agree Ilford is a great film, but acros100 can't be beat in reciprocity and it's look is pretty good, and Kodak Double-X is really nice too.

It's all perspective really...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Lets clarify , Steve Mccurry is a man that Kodak gave the last roll of kodachrome to shoot. What he did ? He found a 40 dollars autofocus Nikon camera and finished it. I think We must not get him serious.
    He used a Nikon F6.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I find it difficult to buy into his "foreigners are human too!" conceit.
    They're not?

I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    His Indians doesnt seem to escape from 1920s New Yorker magazine covers Their teeths are worse than a donkey. He doesnt need to posterize that. Their a anonym here saying he does not touch soap and water means he doesnt touch the his countries sensitive subjects. When he is in america , he founds de niro interesting , nothing else and he runs to india to Show old men teeths to the World. Asshole.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Much of the value of Steve McCurry to us and the rest of the World is through his exposure in National Geographic. McCurry is one significant step in a process that includes logistics, editing, printing, distribution, and much more. If moving to digital enhances this complex process, then the move is good. Of course there are cameras and media that produce better images under certain circumstances. I started using Kodachrome in 1952. Some of its characteristics were limiting, but some enhanced the images. This is true of each film and digital process. It's not for us to quibble about such details in the photography of a master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Much of the value of Steve McCurry to us and the rest of the World is through his exposure in National Geographic. McCurry is one significant step in a process that includes logistics, editing, printing, distribution, and much more. If moving to digital enhances this complex process, then the move is good. Of course there are cameras and media that produce better images under certain circumstances. I started using Kodachrome in 1952. Some of its characteristics were limiting, but some enhanced the images. This is true of each film and digital process. It's not for us to quibble about such details in the photography of a master.

I agree completely with that.
    Everything has its useful place, and no one method is best universally.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He makes nice pictures but I don't really care what someone else shoots, film digital or hybrid processes. I do have more respect for the commitment and extra effort that someone puts into their art when using analog processes though.

I thought he was a pretty cool guy until a few years ago, when the fact came out that he was getting free labor through unpaid internships through Craigslist. Someone that is that famous and is getting paid a good amount for his work and or lectures and workshops should be able to pay their help the bare minimum wage or atleast a stipend. I still see his posts on craigslist every so often trolling for fresh interns to work for free, thinking they might learn something, but probably scanning film all day.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    This is only true if speed and quantity of delivery needs to trump quantity. Since when does national geographic need photojournalist level same-hour delivery? I think they're doing it for logistics/field operations needs but it's not necessarily "better."
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muihlinn View Post
    One day my brother-in-law, violinist, told me why I was still using those obsolete film cameras, so I answered him why he wasn't playing an electric violin with a midi controller instead his much loved 2 centuries old one.
    I'm always shocked to hear stories like this. If anyone would "get it", I think it should be musicians. What a sensitive ear can hear, a sensitive eye can see.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think you have much of an argument if all you can do is try to belittle people. Not knowing who this bloke is does nothing to my credibility, it just proves that I don't live in the US. He's obviously quite well known in US photographic circles but the US is not the beginning and end of the photographic world!

Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    A lot of insecure people on here. He liked a particular emulsion and now it is gone. That's nothing to even notice let alone circle the film wagons about. I think his innocuous statement has really been taken the wrong way and blown out of proportion. I guess it drives up page views à la KR style.

Finishing off your pontification with this question hurts your credibility on a photography website. Did you read the article or look at the pictures that accompanied the article? Even for non photographers his images are instantly recognizable whether they know his name or not.
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin