Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,959   Online: 944

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I would not take this at face value, due to #6 being clearly incorrect.

Not that I approve of NB23's disparaging remarks about Turkey.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I resemble that remark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Who let you out? Get back to your dungeon!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    . . . I thought he was a pretty cool guy until a few years ago, when the fact came out that he was getting free labor through unpaid internships through Craigslist. Someone that is that famous and is getting paid a good amount for his work and or lectures and workshops should be able to pay their help the bare minimum wage or atleast a stipend. I still see his posts on craigslist every so often trolling for fresh interns to work for free, thinking they might learn something, but probably scanning film all day.
    There are rare bragging rights that accrue from such an internship. Less famous photographers rely on such interns. Also, it is much cheaper for the intern than most colleges and photographic schools. After all, McCurry is seeking interns, not students for expensive workshops.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by borgunto View Post
    - I’ve met Steve McCurry at the inauguration of his exhibition in Siena, here in Tuscany where I live.
    - I had the opportunity of a brief interview for a local magazine I work for.
    - For my curiosity I added some questions about film photography
    Damiano
    Damiano,

I would understand if you were disappointed in the direction this thread turned, but there are passions at play here.

I'd like to read more if you can share any other interesting facts that were revealed in your conversation with Steve McCurry, or from his presentation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Bill. Passions and artistic tastes are always at play. I'm not a fan of the guy, but in all honesty I think if I shot colour seriously I'd go digital, and for most professional colour photographers I suspect digital was a godsend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm kind of speechless at how nasty this thread has turned out....my god folks...really?

Other people read this stuff, it's not hidden in a members only section like I really think it ought to be and it makes a lot of people on here look really bad for saying things they have.

I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately and have been pulling stuff of the web everywhere I can. I told my wife that APUG is the only forum I will post on anymore but the resulting tone of this thread is making me strongly reconsider.

This is not moving film forward, it's the opposite and it is really bad folks, a horrible thread actually. Yesterday I had a 24 year old local who read an article about my fine art work and darkroom email me. He has been looking for a rental darkroom to print some of his work for a show so he was wondering if he could spend some time in my setup.

We talked and I am going to help him....he had never heard of APUG and with threads like this I am going to suggest he keep it that way.

Bye folks, read only from here on out!

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan thank you for bringing Jeff Jacobson to my attention his last roll is very different to Mccurry's work and I believe in a good way. I also agree the thread has become very nasty especially the racist comments.
    Without the turks and arabs we wouldn't have a a lot of things like the number zero and the entire greek philosophy not to forget many advances in the optical sciences.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PKM,

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Bye folks, read only from here on out!
    It's your call, of course, but I think that seems like an overly extreme reaction to a small group's bad behavior.

As Edmund Burke once said, all that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men[1] to stop posting on internet fora. Or something like that.

-NT

[1] He did in fact say "men", alas. I do not endorse the sexism of the people I paraphrase.
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    PKM,

It's your call, of course, but I think that seems like an overly extreme reaction to a small group's bad behavior.

As Edmund Burke once said, all that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men[1] to stop posting on internet fora. Or something like that.

-NT

[1] He did in fact say "men", alas. I do not endorse the sexism of the people I paraphrase.

And don't forget: "Clap on, clap off the Clapper".... Morgan Freeman in "Bruce Almighty
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    actually a lot of things mentioned in that article are wrong ..
    first and foremost, before the 1920s it was not turkey, turkey did not exist
    it was the ottoman empire which in its height spanned from asia to venice.
    only now noah's ark considered to be in turkey.

i wish the racists would not comment in threads it ruins it for the site as a whole.

...apug used to be known as "the most polite forum on the internet"

... not this
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-19-2013 at 01:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: not worth my breath

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin