Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,465   Online: 959

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Steve McCurry after Kodachrome: "I don't use film anymore"

Last weekend the great Steve McCurry was in Siena, Tuscany, for the inauguration of his exhibition. I had the opportunity of an interview. Here's what he told me about film photography:

http://www.damianofedeli.it/english/...-film-anymore/
    www.damianofedeli.it/english
    _______
    "I am a man, and nothing human is alien to me" (Terence, Latin dramatist)

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't really know what to say. Surely Steve knows digital isn't possible of rewarding him with the same goods but maybe we're all high and should be out picking up $600 cell phones. Not gonna change the opinion of the medium I prefer though.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Not gonna change the opinion of the medium I prefer though.
    Cristopher, that's exactly what I think!
    _______

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Guess, for him it's just a tool

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used Kodachrome from 1977 until about 1990, looking back I don't understand why it was so popular, it was very contrasty, often blocking up shadows even when exposure was spot on and it never met a green that it didn't hate. What was worse is that its colour rendition changed markedly depending on its age. I changed to Fujichrome and never looked back. And anyhow, who is Steve McCurry?
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Clearly, McCurry’s analog heart is tied to that film and, now, he admits not to use film any longer. Required of an opinion on the possibility for everybody nowadays to shoot with cell phones, he answered me: “I think it’s great: why not? I don’t even know what Instagram is, but if people enjoy photography that’s a good thing. I think that more people making pictures with cell phones, iPads or whatever, is fun, so why not? It’s a way to share your experience
    I think that is a very well put statement. In reality, why should we care how others take their photos? As long as they are enjoying it all, thats all that matters.
    Last edited by hoffy; 06-18-2013 at 06:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I think that is a very well put statement. In reality, why should we care how others take their photos. As long as they are enjoying it all, thats all that matters.
    I agree!
    _______

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I think that is a very well put statement. In reality, why should we care how others take their photos. As long as they are enjoying it all, thats all that matters.
    I agree for the most part. Especially when you consider the adage: "what's the best camera for the job? The one you have with you at the time". The only way I disagree is in that the respect ought to be both ways - others should not care how we take pictures either, so long as we're enjoying it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    good for him ..
    at least he is honest ...

people who use cameras for a hobby have no idea what it means
    to have one's livelihood tied to a medium ... and then have the
    rug pulled out from under them ...

mr mccurry has certainly made his mark, and he left the room with people still in awe and clapping ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lot of insecure people on here. He liked a particular emulsion and now it is gone. That's nothing to even notice let alone circle the film wagons about. I think his innocuous statement has really been taken the wrong way and blown out of proportion. I guess it drives up page views à la KR style.

Quote Originally Posted by markbau View Post
    And anyhow, who is Steve McCurry?
    Finishing off your pontification with this question hurts your credibility on a photography website. Did you read the article or look at the pictures that accompanied the article? Even for non photographers his images are instantly recognizable whether they know his name or not.

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin