Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,368   Online: 820

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    My understanding is many of the negatives were never printed and tens of thousands were never developed.
    For any serious street photographer of that period, I'm sure this isn't quite so abnormal. Today it would be of course, just for the cost. Making fine prints of every negative is surely the reason many never make any good images, and fall into the 'craft' rabbit hole. I think this is rooted in finances too - every neg is worth its weight in gold.

The fact that she didn't have a holistic approach to photography doesn't interest me - many greats didn't - but the fact that she made any good images with no mentoring or second opinion is quite remarkable. But I think it's also the reason her images, in my eyes, don't have that special something. No man, or woman, is an island.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    For any serious street photographer of that period, I'm sure this isn't quite so abnormal.
    You are saying it was normal to shoot tens of thousands of negatives and not develop them?! I have never heard of that in my life. I am not a professor of photography so my ignorance is almost limitless. Do you have a link to a reference for that statement?

Making fine prints of every negative is surely the reason many never make any good images, and fall into the 'craft' rabbit hole.
    I don't think of the Walmart send out service prints I get for $2 with developing and printing as "fine prints" and I would hardly describe driving to Walmart as "craft." You do go down a rabbit hole though. I give you that.

The fact that she didn't have a holistic approach to photography doesn't interest me
    She didn't even send a huge chunk of her negatives to be developed. "Didn't have a holistic approach" is the understatement of the year. I don't consider getting film developed and getting some dime store prints "holistic." I consider that the whole point. Maybe I got into this hobby for the wrong reasons.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Winogrand had quite a stash of undeveloped film after his death, thousands rather than tens of thousands. But when you're less sure of your talent - as I suggested of Maier - the pile she had doesn't surprise me. It doesn't necessarily mean she was psychotic. She wasn't getting feedback about her pictures, she was going solely off her intuition and her intuition was probably telling her 'the best picture is around the next corner'. I'm guessing there's a lot of corners in Chicago/New York.

Nothing surprises me when it comes to photography/art and excess. I think ultimately the question is; do you have to be mad to be a prolific artist?

We are talking about an intense creative here, not a sunday photographer. And you did get into photography for the right reasons - your own.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like many of her photos also, but I can't help but think that the greater part of what has captivated the the world about her is the personal story. Winogrand? Bresson? Unfair comparison, I know, but sorry - Maier's not even close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    You are saying it was normal to shoot tens of thousands of negatives and not develop them?! I have never heard of that in my life.
    Maybe she didn't think there was anything significant on them. Maybe she was spending time and money on more film and shooting, to find the picture she really wanted. Maybe, like the guy who buys an old car but never gets around to restoring it, she planned to develop them, but it just didn't happen.

Maybe she just got old, and found it harder to keep up.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think she's terrific. Maybe cause I'm from NYC and many of her shots are from there. Another couple of things that make her pictures interesting is that they are dated. The people, the clothes they wear, the cars, the locales are from 50 years ago. Photos of past eras are always interesting to view especially for people like me who live through the era. Also, her low shots aimed up due to shooting from a waist level MF viewfinder also give different perspective then you see usually.

Just enjoy her pictures. Is there any need to compare to others?

Shooter
    35mm
    I think what Maier left behind for what ever reason is a great gift for everyone, like finding a time capsule or unearthing a historical artifact. Everyone can make up their own mind what a artist is and whether she was one or not. But what I will say what makes the difference between successful artist and a less sucessful artist is who works the hardest. I would say she stayed pretty active with her photography. Now for what ever reason she didn't print most of her negatives, but she still kept shooting film, so we know she was always thinking about her work. I know from my own experience sometimes it is just fun to walk around a find compositions and enjoy what I found even though know one else will ever know what I saw and kept to myself. Maybe that is what Maier did, she just enjoyed the visualization of her compositions and she was happy with that and did not need to have prints made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I think she's terrific. Maybe cause I'm from NYC and many of her shots are from there. Another couple of things that make her pictures interesting is that they are dated. The people, the clothes they wear, the cars, the locales are from 50 years ago. Photos of past eras are always interesting to view especially for people like me who live through the era. Also, her low shots aimed up due to shooting from a waist level MF viewfinder also give different perspective then you see usually.

Honest enjoyment of the pictures for their subject matter. A most refreshing post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post

+1 Alan. I also enjoy just looking at her pictures. I personally see a humanity, and interest in others, in her pictures that I do not always find in other artist's work. I just get the feeling that she enjoyed what she was doing regardless of whether or not she ever printed anything.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Personnally, I can't get enough of her work. Her pictures moves me deeply on many levels, most strongly on an aesthetic level. I don't give much value to an artist based on how original a style or how much social or political statements he or she tries to convey. To my eyes any good photograph of hers wins hands down up against all the Cartier-Bresson photos I've seen so far. Hers just touch me more deeply, but of course that can be just me. It's pointless to create competition in the artistic field, all is a question of personnal taste and sensitivity. I don't care who is best, all I care for is what I love and I love Vivian Maier's work. Her fascinating story is a bonus.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin