Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 796

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me she´s one of the great street photographers!
    I´ve seen her images in Hamburg and I love her work.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You are in the NY area, have you seen her prints?, They are at Howard Greenburg gallery to view, also there is going to be a show of her work at Stephen Bulger gallery here this year in Toronto. I am very excited to see this work as I have only seen a small body of original negs, and one of the poorly printed books.

One of my friends owns 33 original negatives of Vivian Maier, she bought them on the internet at the very beginning stage when the person who bought the locker the negs were in, did not understand what he was sitting on and was selling them on Ebay.
    She purchased them online . I must say that I think Vivian Maier's work is up there with the best , but that is only my opinion.
    Time will tell , who curates the negatives, who decides what gets printed and how will be a big factor on where her place in history ends up.
    I believe it is way to early to compare her work with Winogrand, Bresson, Brassai and others of her timeline before and after. Give her work some breathing room and pardon the pun but see how her work is developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    I like many of her photos also, but I can't help but think that the greater part of what has captivated the the world about her is the personal story. Winogrand? Bresson? Unfair comparison, I know, but sorry - Maier's not even close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NDKodak View Post
    I think what Maier left behind for what ever reason is a great gift for everyone, like finding a time capsule or unearthing a historical artifact.
    It's not "like" finding a historical artifact. It is a historical artifact. What you said here and what someone else said about comparing her to her contemporaries is I what I was getting at. If anyone holds a camera straight, focuses, uses reasonable exposure, does that perhaps hundreds of thousands of times and the results are found half a century later by pure chance it will cause a sensation out of proportion to the actual fine art value.

Let me be clear. I like looking at her pictures from a documentation point of view. I am not as into people photography as her simply because I don't want that level of interaction, but I do a lot of shooting that is simply documenting things. I try and make pictures that are technically good. But I don't think even the ones that are reasonably composed and technically very good are mind blowing in a fine art sense. They might be good pictures but they aren't head and shoulders above similar images by other competent artists. I am not trying to be self deprecating or put down Maier I'm just saying if people are all of a sudden going gaga over Maier why weren't they going gaga over her contemporaries who were at least as good or in my opinion better. My answer? The story of the discovery and the shear volume. Doesn't mean they are bad pictures. But this is photography not painting. Cameras and film are designed for the average person with some thought and practice to take decent pictures. Even before Maier came along I would always tell noobs that if they did a decent job with the technical stuff, gave some thought to composition, and pressed the shutter enough they would eventually have a portfolio of 10 solid shots.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Name a few contemporarys working in Chicago at that time ??

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    She was good and had an eye for an image, but not even in the same league as HCB.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    She was good and had an eye for an image, but not even in the same league as HCB.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    How so?
    Compare their images.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    As I expected, nothing to back up your point of view.. you are my third person in almost 10 years to go to the ingnore user.
    You keep good company, when you think of it 50000 members three on ignore.

Compare their images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Compare their images.
    This presumes that the individual performing the comparison reads photographs the same as you do. And can thus be expected to see the same dissimilarities that you have already seen. But since everyone's perspective on life is unique to each individual, that presumption is likely invalid.

So Bob's question regarding your unique perspective stands,

How so?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    This presumes that the individual performing the comparison reads photographs the same as you do. And can thus be expected to see the same dissimilarities that you have already seen. But since everyone's perspective on life is unique to each individual, that presumption is likely invalid.

So Bob's question regarding your unique perspective stands,

How so?

Ken
    A ridiculous question as HCB is backed up by a worldwide historic consensus of opinion from millions of people, many of whom are more qualified to comment than I.

Francis Bacon

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin