Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,509   Online: 883

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    My lens? Not quite. What about her wishes? Maybe she didn't want the work to be seen. She never tried to show it herself by all accounts, even when, as Newt touched upon above, she lived with a photo editor.
    You are looking at it from you perspective as presumably someone without a mental illness. If you suspend disbelief and consider the possibility of mental illness none of this is remarkable or surprising. Usually the simplest explanation is the correct one. You also are assuming her work was head and shoulders above the work of her contemporaries. I have seen no evidence of that. You are also assuming she is the sort of person who gets hired to do one job and uses that "in" as a way to push her portfolio. A lot of people particularly back then wouldn't be inclined to do something like that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Noble

I have to ask you this.. have you ever considered the commitment needed to take 10,000 rolls of 120 film, and expose them all??
    I think you are missing a very simple logistical , financial and physical action that this woman took.

I would really like a measured response about how you would go about this simple task?
    I have made over 100,000 thousand prints, it took me my career.
    I would be interested to know whether you have come any where close to Vivian's production.

please do not include family vacations on your cell phone, but a real concentrated body of work effort.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Noble

I have to ask you this.. have you ever considered the commitment needed to take 10,000 rolls of 120 film, and expose them all??
    I think you are missing a very simple logistical , financial and physical action that this woman took.

I would really like a measured response about how you would go about this simple task?
    I would be interested to know whether you have come any where close to Vivian's production.

please do not include family vacations on your cell phone, but a real concentrated body of work effort.
    Production numbers has nothing to do with quality of outcome.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    To me it would seem her picture taking was a manifestation of some kind of mental disorder.
    My mental illness statement wasn't just a cheap swipe at a departed woman. My understanding is many of the negatives were never printed and tens of thousands were never developed.
    You are looking at it from you perspective as presumably someone without a mental illness. If you suspend disbelief and consider the possibility of mental illness none of this is remarkable or surprising.
    Why has this poor woman suddenly now become mentally ill?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Her pictures should stand on their own. Are they interesting? Do they make you stop and examine what's going on and wonder? Do they tweek your interest? Do they make you smile? Cry? Be happy? The rest about how many pictures she took, the fact she wasn't known, was a nanny, lived in Chicago, that her "work" should be handled by a museum and not by "profiteers", do not mean anything other then raising interest.

Do you like her photos?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Do you like her photos?
    I do.

And that's all that matters... to me.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Why has this poor woman suddenly now become mentally ill?

Ken
    What was sudden about it? It theoretically went on for decades.

Noble

Actually I am not. Why do you think I floated the theory about mental illness?

I wouldn't. I am not mentally ill and I have a day job.

Doing it as a career for money is reasonable.

I like some of Maier's pictures. But that doesn't change the facts around their creation.
    Last edited by Noble; 06-28-2013 at 05:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think we should accuse her of mental problems because of the quantity of pictures. By that standard, half the people who have high post counts here might be nuts too!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mozart must have suffered some kind of mental illness, why would a normal person spend most of his life writing down so such music in so little time? Complete passionate dedication isn't it what differentiates a true artist from a lucky amateur or a reasonable pro?

Shooter
    Multi Format

I like some of Maier's pictures. But that doesn't change the facts around their creation.

And what are those "facts"?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin