Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,600   Online: 821
      
Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    919

    Vivian Maier, BBC Imagine documentary

    For those who aren't sick of hearing about her yet (I'm teetering), this is on tomorrow night:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0366jd5
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

  2. #2
    ajmiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    441
    She's obviously now gone mainstream - shame she isn't around to receive the accolades. I've teetered and fallen off the edge over the story not through her pictures which I still think are good. The internet makes everything so damn fleeting.
    regards,

    Tony

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    277
    If I like a picture, I like a picture. It doesn't matter who took it. And if I like an artist I like an artist whether they've been overexposed on the internet or not.

    My problem with Maier is I've never seen anyone say she accomplished anything extraordinary. To me it would seem her picture taking was a manifestation of some kind of mental disorder. If you walk around with a camera and take thousands upon thousands of pictures over the course of decades there are bound to be some winners. That is not the hallmark of a great artist. I do like the fact she documented a lot of mundane things. I like documenting things too. I wouldn't call a lot of what I do fine art though.

  4. #4
    Pioneer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Elko, Nevada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,017
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    If you walk around with a camera and take thousands upon thousands of pictures over the course of decades there are bound to be some winners. That is not the hallmark of a great artist.
    Shades of Winogrand!!

    She did take some really magnificent shots amongst those thousands of pictures. I am only one person but I do consider her work the work of an artist.

  5. #5
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,657
    Images
    14
    I have seen original negatives of VM as well I have studied her book.
    IMHO she had a great eye, fantastic in fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    If I like a picture, I like a picture. It doesn't matter who took it. And if I like an artist I like an artist whether they've been overexposed on the internet or not.

    My problem with Maier is I've never seen anyone say she accomplished anything extraordinary. To me it would seem her picture taking was a manifestation of some kind of mental disorder. If you walk around with a camera and take thousands upon thousands of pictures over the course of decades there are bound to be some winners. That is not the hallmark of a great artist. I do like the fact she documented a lot of mundane things. I like documenting things too. I wouldn't call a lot of what I do fine art though.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    That is not the hallmark of a great artist.
    I do consider her work the work of an artist.
    I consider her an artist.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    If you walk around with a camera and take thousands upon thousands of pictures over the course of decades there are bound to be some winners. That is not the hallmark of a great artist.
    Agree. I don't see any sparks of genius in her pictures, no real consistent subjective concerns and no stylistic trademarks. There are some standout images, but nothing that really stands out from her peers. This is an important thing for the scholars to consider before rewriting the history books.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    277


    Vivian Maier's take on Egypt. Remember though. This was culled from THOUSANDS of negatives spanning decades. This was what was carefully chosen as one of the minority of images to be put in a portfolio on the site named after her.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    748
    I've been curious about she went about devloping these rolls back in the day. Must of been dirt cheap.

    ToddB

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    I've been curious about she went about devloping these rolls back in the day. Must of been dirt cheap.

    ToddB
    Considering it costs 84 cents to develop a C-41 220 roll of Portra 160 through the Walmart send out service I wonder how much could really be shaved off. Given the volume of shooting she did I wondered about the economics as well. My mental illness statement wasn't just a cheap swipe at a departed woman. My understanding is many of the negatives were never printed and tens of thousands were never developed.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin