Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,419   Online: 1024

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    EW was an early pioneer of Photoshop. He painted a portrait of himself as the Luddite with a Light Bulb but was secretly working with IBM.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fastw View Post
    looks like ringflash
    I hope you mean this as a joke. It certainly was not ringflash, not was it solarized.
    I own a Weston nude of "Charis on the Dunes" which exhibits the same qualities, as do several of his others. When the axis of the lens is very close to the axis of the light source, the light will wrap around a curved surface and produce the dark outline. Try it with an egg, as demonstrated by Ansel.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I hope you mean this as a joke. It certainly was not ringflash, not was it solarized.
    I own a Weston nude of "Charis on the Dunes" which exhibits the same qualities, as do several of his others. When the axis of the lens is very close to the axis of the light source, the light will wrap around a curved surface and produce the dark outline. Try it with an egg, as demonstrated by Ansel.
    Try it with a ringflash!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you only look at the torso and thigh, it certainly couldn't be mistaken for solarisation. It's the feet that make the image appear this way. This is because there is charcoal on the soles of her feet from the floor beneath her. I think this is what creates the confusion about the lighting/solarisation.
    Last edited by batwister; 06-30-2013 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, everyone... i'll have to give it a go (the axis lighting)
    As for the final look of the image.. the actual print, and not the negative... that is just something i won't get then?
    because today's papers are not the same, as patrick robert james mentioned?...

or does anyone know where i can get a pack of similar paper..

i swear the thing shimmers, like super-fine glitter. (maybe it's just in my head, but man, it's so beautiful)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to recall that he described the image and how he did it in the second volume of his daybooks. I can't remember now how he did it, though. If you can find a copy, the second volume might help you out.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    Thanks, everyone... i'll have to give it a go (the axis lighting)
    As for the final look of the image.. the actual print, and not the negative... that is just something i won't get then?

or does anyone know where i can get a pack of similar paper..

i swear the thing shimmers, like super-fine glitter. (maybe it's just in my head, but man, it's so beautiful)
    The papers of today do not have the same surface quality and depth of tone. I don't know why. I do know the power of EW's prints. I encountered a print of his on permanent display at the Cleveland Art Museum showing a photo he took in a cemetery that had so much depth and shimmering tone that I went back 3 days in a row and stared at it.
    You could kind of get that charcoal affect pre the mid 1980s by using Agfa paper and Amidol delveloper if you had processed your film in a developer that had good contrast in the mid tones. But it isn't possible today. Even Edward Weston in his time decried the decline in quality of silver gel paper.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    ... that is just something i won't get then?
    or does anyone know where i can get a pack of similar paper.
    EW used contact paper; either directly from an 8x10 negative or enlarged from his 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Graflex negative to create an 8x10 negative to contact print. Kodak Azo is no longer made but Lodima paper is nice. These papers are way too slow for enlargements.

Alan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I seem to recall that he described the image and how he did it in the second volume of his daybooks. I can't remember now how he did it, though. If you can find a copy, the second volume might help you out.
    If Winger is correct, I was hoping someone with these daybooks would reveal all.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    If Winger is correct, I was hoping someone with these daybooks would reveal all.
    And I borrowed them from someone to read a few months ago. He's now on vacation in CA so I can't borrow them back. I really would swear he mentioned this shot.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin