Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,654   Posts: 1,623,659   Online: 1111

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get put off by the writing and attitude in volume 1, don't let that stop you from getting volume 2. 2 is much better and an easier read. I skipped through much of vol 1, but read nearly all of vol 2.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ^okay... i will definitely pick up two, as it has the info i'm looking for... thanks for the warning though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    If you only look at the torso and thigh, it certainly couldn't be mistaken for solarisation. It's the feet that make the image appear this way. This is because there is charcoal on the soles of her feet from the floor beneath her. I think this is what creates the confusion about the lighting/solarisation.
    I think you are quite right. And I think the floor records the dance that has been performed already!

Gim

Edward Weston's Day Books, entry dated 3/6/29

"My best work is more analogous to architecture and sculpture than to painting. I made a posterior view, in flat, but very brilliant light, which outlines the figure with such a definite black line, that even photographers swear I have pencilled the negative,--I have used this light before on the dancing nudes."

Also, in the daybooks, Weston mentioned that he never uses artificial light...only natural light.

I believe this outline can also be seen lightly in the Charis nudes in the dunes.

As a side point...I have the Knees print in (at least) two books and noticed that they each are a different crop and contrast. I guess book prints always have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I vaguely remember reading more on this outline effect but know not where.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    So I've been walking around the past couple of days since this thread started looking at objects illuminated by the sun, trying to put my eye along the axis of the sunlight without casting a shadow on the object. Closing one eye to simulate a camera lens. Today, for example, I was staring at a round pipe for a while (people must have wondered...) and did see that as the pipe curved outward, it did seem to get darker. But nothing as seen in the Weston print.

So are we discussing an optical effect that happens all the time but we just don't notice it that much, or is the effect seen in the Weston print the result of the photographic process -- Mackie lines and such? And thus variable by paper, developer, process, etc? I imagine the answer to both questions is "yes" but perhaps those more in tune with optical matters have a more informed view.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Flat light, then developed longer, will create "more" contrast than your eye sees.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gim View Post
    ...such a definite black line, that even photographers swear I have pencilled the negative
    Thanks Jim,

No I accept it's a straight unretouched negative. But if the floor was a little dusty, those really do appear to be footprints. It doesn't look like "a lot" of charcoal, and if the light was flat and the negative developed longer, then light dust would darken to charcoal. There doesn't even have to be that much of it.

Anyone know if dancers prefer dust on the floor, like mountain climbers chalk their hands, during a performance?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Edward Weston's Day Books, entry dated 3/6/29

"My best work is more analogous to architecture and sculpture than to painting. I made a posterior view, in flat, but very brilliant light, which outlines the figure with such a definite black line, that even photographers swear I have pencilled the negative,--I have used this light before on the dancing nudes."

Also, in the daybooks, Weston mentioned that he never uses artificial light...only natural light.

I believe this outline can also be seen lightly in the Charis nudes in the dunes.

As a side point...I have the Knees print in (at least) two books and noticed that they each are a different crop and contrast. I guess book prints always have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I vaguely remember reading more on this outline effect but know not where.

Hope this helps,
    Jim
    Thanks for that Gim, or should that be Jim. Now can someone explain that in the form of a lighting diagram?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Gim

Eddie didn't need no stinking diagram. I think, put the sun behind your head...move head...take picture. My best guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Thanks for that Gim, or should that be Jim. Now can someone explain that in the form of a lighting diagram?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Eddie didn't need no stinking diagram. I think, put the sun behind your head...move head...take picture. My best guess.
    I'm sure Eddie didn't, but myself and others may benefit from a visual representation of the lighting employed. Particularly as this is daylight as mentioned in previous posts.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin