Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,157   Online: 870

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Edward Weston Nude #62 (dancer's Knees)

THIS PHOTO

I was privileged to see this photograph at MOPA (san diego) several months ago, and it just had a deep impact on me. I've seen a few (very few) of weston's other prints, but this one is just astounding, and i've never seen another like it.

1. It looks like a charcoal drawing
    2. a second look... the color almost looks like 'matte silver powder'
    3. It really does look like SILVER...

i've looked online, the one thing that stands out, is a possibly long exposure (several minutes upwards of 5?)...

Thanks, any details are helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its a solarized image, where the print was briefly exposed to light during development.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Andrew are you sure about that? It was always one of my favorite images and in all my EW reading I have never seen reference to solarizing. I wonder if you can remember where you read that. I always thought it was just rim lighting.
    Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EW Dancer's knees.png  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    it is where I got the idea for lighting this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sz.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I believe it is axis light. Ansel Adams has a couple of examples in his "Natural Light Photography".

Alan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    well, okay, the lighting explains the dark rim around the figure...
    what about the powdery (charcoal look) that when looked at in real life, almost has a 'shimmer' (if you can say that).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It most certainly isn't solarised. The light source is simply a little above the lens and closer than the front of the lens. I have spent a lot of time in studios in my life, so it is easy to see. I find it rather interesting as a lighting technique. I have used it myself.

The shimmer could be from a platinum print or the silver papers from the time. Off the top of my head, I can't remember when he switched from platinum to bromide (matte then to glossy). I remember that he was still using platinum paper when he was in Mexico. Old materials were silver rich as well. A lot of his prints, as well as others from the period, had a great deal of depth to them that is nearly impossible to replicate today. Any chance you get to see his prints don't pass it up. I saw a show at LACMA years ago and I spent a few hours just walking around the gallery looking at his work. It is easy to see in person why he is a master.

If you are a member of MOPA they will probably show you other Weston's if you ask. I have seen quite a few famous images up close without glass and from my experience, if you get the chance, it will change the way you look at photographs, let me tell you....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Probably I will never see real print in my life , is there a poster or replication of this print ? I am talking about cheap replication , they can be powerful , I have a gull drawing replication from Van Hogh and a Monet and Da Vinci and I am having great time with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport View Post
    I believe it is axis light. Ansel Adams has a couple of examples in his "Natural Light Photography".

Alan
    I believe you are totally correct!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks like ringflash

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin