Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,734   Online: 1079

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I'm also quite certain digital will cost him long term in more ways than one.
    Salgado: "I was quite surprised when my batteries died in village without electricity. So I was not able to make photos for whole week"

Shooter
    Medium Format

human nature

Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    This is BS.

and this is also BS (unless he was exclusively shooting Delta 3200 in 645 format or something).

I could care less that it was Salgado who said it, honestly. I'm also quite certain digital will cost him long term in more ways than one.
    about salgado, we all find ways to justify our actions... especially when money is involved.

jvo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's up with the messed up quoted sections?

Anyone else seeing this?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went to the Royal Museum in Toronto to see his exhibition. It was a mixmatch including previous work too, especially from 'Africa'. I was stunned by some of the photographs, where all the qualities of his technique were present, especially the grain; but in others the gray was as if they were made of dolphin skin, really fake. After asking around and reading about the process from the brochure provided at the museum, I noticed that he was using a hybrid process. I had arrived to the museum with the hope of returning home with a copy of his book, but that didn't happen. Also because the book's format does not let you enjoy the photographs as one picture takes both left and right pages. For this and for the photographs themselves I didn't get the book, i went home and purchased a copy of 'Africa' through amazon, as it was cheaper than at the museum's store. This might constitute a pre- and post- on his career.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabino View Post
    Also because the book's format does not let you enjoy the photographs as one picture takes both left and right pages. For this and for the photographs themselves I didn't get the book, i went home and purchased a copy of 'Africa' through amazon, as it was cheaper than at the museum's store. This might constitute a pre- and post- on his career.
    I ordered Genesis from Amazon and after a month wait, it finally arrived yesterday. I agreed with you that the format of the book, splitting up large images striding across two pages (left and right), really disturbs the viewing experience.

And I don't know if it's because of his intention, in many images the shadow parts have little detail, without much tonal variation.

I'm thinking returning the book if Amazon allows me to and get one of his earlier books.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm... I saw the Genesis prints in Toronto last May--the new, big ones were obviously digital and rather poor at that; the older ones I wasn't sure, but if they were wet, they were crappy, too. The gallery owner assured me they were made "under Salgado's supervision by his lab in Paris."

If you like sniffing prints (like I do ) I'm afraid you'll have to look up older material. There's relatively little of quality left to the wet process these days--and "quality" does not necessarily mean "lush texture" or "rich midtones"--unless you coat your own...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by philosli View Post
    ...and get one of his earlier books.
    I agree that Genesis is a printing disaster of planetary proportions, both bookcase and wall... Not that one should expect fireworks from Taschen.

EDIT: There was a line here praising the print quality of Sahel. Alas, going by memory. Went to the shelf, picked it up... Nah, won't recommend. Africa's not bad, actually.
    Last edited by Vilk; 07-03-2013 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Craziest thing is if Salgado would have just continued doing what worked (film + silver gelatin prints) he'd probably still be wowing people. Now due to the technology switch and all the indirect crap that happens as a result everything is now a cerebrally driven mess of mediocrity.

I guess shooting digital, making internegs on Tri-X, and wet or dry printing somehow make sense? Maybe he's forgetting that its the original light hitting the film that actually matters.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a wonderful and touching talk by Salgado on TED.

http://www.ted.com/talks/sebastiao_s...otography.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin