Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,530   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Interesting, so how long does copyright last on images, as well does one have to register copyright on images?
    Under US law, i.e., Title 17, US Code:

Copyright lasts 70 years beyond death of the author.

Copyright exists from the time of creation.

Without registration, the author of a "work of visual art" can claim authorship and sue for infringement and receive actual damages, but not statutory damages or attorney fees. A "work of visual art" is defined in Section 101, page 7. Specific to photographs is Sec. 101(2)

www.copyright.gov/title17/
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Note that lxdude's info applies to the US.

In Canada: "The general rule is that copyright lasts for the life of the author, the remainder of the calendar year in which the author dies, and for 50 years following the end of the calendar year."
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In other words, it's a big goddamn mess.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    The state should own all of it, and put it in the public domain, for free use and enjoyment of all. Have it professionally archived, scanned and made available free. 2 or 3 carpetbagging , 'storage wars'-types should not be benefitting/profiteering from this as they have so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Copyright, in the US will last as long as Mickey makes money. The duration used to be shorter, but as the expiration date approached Disney lobbied for a longer duration. Mickey Mouse brings in huge money for Disney, as do other characters for their copyright holders. Money buys lobbyists, lobbyists buy legislators, and so the great circle of life continues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin