Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,665   Online: 933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Who owns Vivian Maier's copyright?

Something I've been wondering about for a while.

http://gapersblock.com/ac/2013/08/13...ers-copyright/
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Moderators, please correct my brainfart misspelling in the title.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the link makes for some fun reading and answers a question I've been asking myself for a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Moderators, please correct my brainfart misspelling in the title.
    Done. Interersting situation. I prefer the person who bought the work and printed it to benefit. The state of Illinois would have likely thrown her archive out if the storage lockers had been emptied after her death.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, Suzanne. The royalty arrangement sounds reasonable if it the state gains ownership of the copyright.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The legislation that provides that the assets escheat to the state if there is no Will and there are no intestate heirs isn't there to provide for a windfall to the state - it is there to protect the value of those assets ant to permit the "winding-up" of estates.

Given the potential value of the estate, I'd be willing to bet that someone will spend the money to find a heir.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The legislation that provides that the assets escheat to the state if there is no Will and there are no intestate heirs isn't there to provide for a windfall to the state...
    Ahhh, but one must remember where this is taking place. The State of Illinois is broke and desperate after decades of fiscal mismanagement, and won't leave a revenue opportunity such as this alone. A friend of mine in Chicago, who knows Maloof and is familiar with the whole Vivian Maier saga, is worried that it has changed his life, and not necessarily for the better. He could end up broke and broken, trying to defend himself from the state.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    What are the rules on abandoned items in lockers??
    I think it boils down to this , does it not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The items belong to the person who buys the items when they are auctioned. The negatives and everything else belong to those who bought them. But ownership of a negative does not confer ownership of copyright.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Interesting, so how long does copyright last on images, as well does one have to register copyright on images?

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The items belong to the person who buys the items when they are auctioned. The negatives and everything else belong to those who bought them. But ownership of a negative does not confer ownership of copyright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin