Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,703   Posts: 1,548,472   Online: 868

Shooter
    35mm

Lewis Morley, and news of his archive

Lewis Morley died last Tuesday. Perhaps someone might be interested in the slightly unusual treatment of his lifes work and archives, which he arranged himself (with assistants) before his death at the age of 88.

This . . .

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...ve-photographs

And this . . .

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...orley-observer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting work for sure.

Jeff

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    It isn't intriguing if you read about his life and work. It is a humorous take on his life and summons it perfectly well.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM2N, 10
    A bunch of Nikons

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's what I meant with intriguing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have to wonder if the "self portrait" has to do with this verse from Matthew 18:6:

"But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea."

If so, I'm not amused if he was being serious.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was privileged to have printed hundreds of his images over the last few years. He will be missed.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Interesting articles. Thanks for posting!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't believe Lewis was given to self-righteousness or righteous indignation for that matter.
    He was very generous with his time and supported photographers of all levels once he settled in Sydney.
    I met and spoke to him several times and he was one of those people who gave the impression that had all the time in the world for you. He also opened a group exhibition I was in once and said some positive, supportive things about my work. He gave me his card and said call me or come around and visit any time - and he meant it!
    The last time I saw him he was on Parramatta Rd waiting to catch a bus to the city from Leichhardt. Modest to the end. It is no surprise he has left his life's work behind in this way.

Vale Lewis
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have to wonder if the "self portrait" has to do with this verse from Matthew 18:6:

"But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea."

If so, I'm not amused if he was being serious.

The picture has nothing to do with superstition. The chair he is sitting in, and the pose, are a reminder of his most widely known image - and that he considered the image to drag down peoples perception of the rest of his work, and of himself as a photographer.
    Last edited by MartinP; 09-11-2013 at 01:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: punctuation

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin