Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,131   Online: 1143

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    lxdude,
    I would LOVE to have a PDF or JPGs of the pages of that 1996 B&H ad for reference! If you can provide that, send me a PM and I will reply with my personal email address. Thanks, in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was under the impression that any medium format SLR, regardless of brand, was the territory of Professional photographers before the mass exodus. The only reason mere mortals like myself can afford them now is that in reality they are dirt cheap.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I was under the impression that any medium format SLR, regardless of brand, was the territory of Professional photographers before the mass exodus.
    Bar Soviet- and GDR-made ones. They might have been even targeted to professionals, but photographers had no enough appreciation of their superiority to products of the rotten capitalists.
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+49 176 7327 8527|skype:cezzem

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even them I was witness to several pro photoshoots in Cuba that used a Pentacon Six, Bernhard Grzimek a famous german Zoo Director and Documentary Filmmaker used a Pentacon Six on his Safaris.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    in Cuba
    That's why

Well, plenty of photographer had no choice...

And nowadays some art photographers use them (when they sell their pictures, they are professionals, aren't they?), but for a serious, commissioned work, you needed reliable tools, while Kievs, famous for 50% dead-on-arrival rate, were rather not.
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+49 176 7327 8527|skype:cezzem

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I started seriously with photography in 2001, I bought a Bronica SQ-B with a 80 mm lens new. My first MF camera. Later I bought some extra lenses 2nd hand.
    It's a wonderful piece of equipment with excellent glass, in my opinion. Thus, I never went over to Hassy. Later I aslo bought a new Bronica RF645 as a "point & Shoot" camera with 3 lenses. Still love & use them both (among others).
    I used the AQ-B at two weddings and one funeral. And on a lot of other occasions.

Here is one of my very first shots, on Fuji NPH400.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bomenenblad.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	74215
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 09-10-2013 at 10:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I was under the impression that any medium format SLR, regardless of brand, was the territory of Professional photographers before the mass exodus. The only reason mere mortals like myself can afford them now is that in reality they are dirt cheap.
    Prior to the "mass exodus" there was reasonable availability of older, used 645 equipment (Mamiya and to a lesser extent, Bronica) for the serious hobbyist. It wasn't cheap, but it was certainly worth considering.

And Mamiya TLRs as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pasiasty View Post
    That's why

Well, plenty of photographer had no choice...

And nowadays some art photographers use them (when they sell their pictures, they are professionals, aren't they?), but for a serious, commissioned work, you needed reliable tools, while Kievs, famous for 50% dead-on-arrival rate, were rather not.
    Bernhard Grzimek sure did have a choice west german, fairly well off flew across Africa and Europe with his own plane (Dornier Do-27 in Zebra livery) also those Cuban photographers could afford a Hasselblad and there was no Embargo to trade with Cuba at least not from ther German and Swedish side.
    Is the Pentacon on par with a Bronica, Hasselblad or Rollei no way is it a catastrophy no. But I agree with you that most Eastern photographers would have prefered better tools. Incidently Russian Movie cameras seem to have made a comeback in Hollywood ultra low budget productions and they are not bad at all.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Bronica camera's is too much famous and most of the people like to used this in their own profession. I also give a Bronica camera to my brother on his birthday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This sort of question is about insecurity, and validating ones status, whatever talent a notable photographer has who uses a particular brand or model doesn't rub off on anyone else, and a crap violinist is still crap, even using a Stradivarius. A good photographer can shoot good pictures with the cheapest cameras.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-10-2013 at 07:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin