Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,968   Online: 1065

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post

You'll need to reformat your OP in past tense of course, if Edward Curtis is being counted as an exception to the rule. There weren't many celebs back then! Indian or otherwise...
    I would totally disagree with this statement, at least as regards "celebrities" in the 19th century. It's true if you use people famous for being famous as a definition of celebrity, but there were plenty of stage performers, politicians, writers, just plain old rich people and military figures who would qualify as celebrities. There were certain photographers who you went to if you were famous (or wanted to be) to get your portrait done, even in the mid-19th century. In New York, there were a cluster - Brady, Bogardus, Gurney & Sons, C.D. Fredricks, to name a few. In Washington DC there were Brady and Gardner, in San Francisco there was Myron Shew, in London there was the London Stereoscopic Co., and several others whose names escape me at the moment. I have photos in my collection of actors (Henry Irving, actor and owner of the Lyceum theater in London where Bram Stoker was the manager and worked while he wrote Dracula), circus freaks (Tom Thumb and his wife, Lavinia Warren, who were two of the most highly paid entertainers of the later half of the 19th century - at the peak of his career he was pulling down $20,000/year - think Robert Downey Jr, Tom Cruise, Steven Spielberg kind of money), generals (most of the generals of the Civil War were photographed and their photos were reprinted and sold like 20th century baseball cards, collected by a voracious audience), royalty (Napoleon III, emperor of France) and politicians (Manuel Murillo Toro, twice president of Colombia) just to point out a few examples.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Indeed. There were celebs, self-promoters and their agents all over the map. Look at the careers of Col Custer, Mark Twain, Clarence King, John Muir, Buffalo Bill Cody, even Geronimo. Politicians needed publicity. They had their stars of stage, literature, and music, just like today. The great robber barons were immortalized in film by those great photographers whom they subsidized just this specific purpose, one way or the other. Nothing has really changed except the details of the technology itself. Matthew Brady wasn't as much a photographer and an industry,
    and he made a lot of money at it.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    According to me Ansel Adams is most famous photographer and He is master of darkroom. I like all photographer that he captured. All photographs shows reality of life with nature. He always used large format cameras.
    Portraits By Mina Oakville Photographers is famous portrait Professional Studio that offer all type of portrait photography with best customer services like business portraits, family portraits and executive portraits.

Shooter
    35mm
    Irving Penn.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin