Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,925   Posts: 1,522,116   Online: 769

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edward Weston

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I would expect it actually has more to do with his skill than what he used.
    ABSOLUTELY!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There are lots of anecdotes about his methodology by contemporaries. Some of the more interesting ones are by AA, who inevitably had to
    contrast his own compartmentalized zone system to Weston's shrug of the shoulders voodoo approach, but really based upon experience and intuition. In the darkroom he was more of an alchemist than a chemist. Whatever worked. And there is some reason to believe that his habitual carelessness with pyro might have been what led to his Parkinson's disease. He never seemed obsessed with equipment. He couldn't afford to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Mustafa a bit more searching here at APUG or via google can probably get you a good chunk of what you are asking for.

Here's a link to a one citation. http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1045546

Incidentally, the Weston Meter is mentioned in the link. Just for information- the Weston meter is named for Edward Weston, but he was a different Edward Weston-- not the famous photographer.
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-10-2013 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Almost done with his Mexico daybooks, i swear, i can't finish it, because it makes me stop what i'm doing (reading) or have planned and go shoot. It's both funny and somewhat insightful, not on his technique, but on what makes a great photographer... practice, patience, and devoted. He was so poor, his wife sent him money, while he had his eldest son in Mexico, while being with his mistress (Tina).

Suffice it to say, his devotion paid off.

I cannot stress how many times he mentions making his best print to date.
    He was always excited, and even through mistakes, he clearly learned, and devoted himself to a better negative next time. he made many rookie mistakes, ones that we can only appreciate from doing ourselves. His knowledge was learned a posteriori (learned through experience).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    I cannot stress how many times he mentions making his best print to date.
    I know that feeling.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've got one of those old Weston meters - a hand-me-down, and it still works, though I never use it. However, I can certainly visualize EW
    pointing it one way then another, just as in the stories, scratching his head, and then basically winging it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Edward Weston died 56 years ago this morning in Carmel. I was with Brett that morning, and the remainder of the day, while he was at our home in Berkeley. I had been photographing for about five years at the time, and had the wonderful experience of sharing my photographs with Edward. It was a sad day, but one I reflect upon at each passing anniversary. Thank you, father and son, for enriching my life, and those of so many others.

Merg

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for sharing that, Merg. Other than a note from Brett long ago, I had no personal contact with the clan, but learned a lot of things from
    a mutual family friend. I'd stick around Carmel just long enough for my official openings, then head off down the coast for shooting, or was with family, still in the area. Never much of one to hobnob with the cheese n' wine crowd. But at least I got a lot of exposure to real prints by both
    EW and BW from an early age - long before I saw anything by AA, so that made quite an impression on me. Probably nobody in photo history
    will be able to fill exactly the respective niches those two did, and it's even more remarkable that such different styles could arise in the same
    family.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks from me too-EW is still my favourite, especially the later pictures of Point Lobos.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin