Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,692   Online: 851

Shooter
    Medium Format

fine art photographs of string instruments?

One of my hobbies, besides photography, is music - specifically, the bass. I am looking to decorate my practice room with nice photographs of stringed instruments (the bass in particular). I have largely been unsuccessful in finding anything nice enough to hang. Any recommendations for photographers working in this area would be greatly appreciated (even better if they are on this forum!).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't recall any bass photographs specifically (I could be wrong, though), but I really like many of stradibarrius' black and whites.

I think stringed instruments make wonderful subjects. I need to find some more guinea pigs...erm, friends who play.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought first of Milt Hinton, but I guess the bass would be his least likely subject. The usual suspects for jazz portraiture have done plenty of bass *players*, of course, but usually with more focus on the musician than the instrument. Make your own decor, I'd say, so your instruments can look at their own portraits!

I play bass too, and I've found it's *very* challenging to get a photo of a stringed instrument that isn't a cliche. Ultra-shallow DOF looking down the strings at the bridge? Been done a thousand times. Tight crop of a violin corner and the upper part of an f-hole? Bow on strings with vibration blur? Ditto. I keep producing images that look like the dummy photo you'd get in a department-store frame.

I've never gotten serious about taking it on as a photo project, but it seems like a good one. Obviously the subject has potential.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The first photos which came to mind were Toffle's "Etudes". While there are no bass photos in the gallery, there are violins, mandolins and pianos and I think they're exquisite. Hopefully this search enquiry link will work for you: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...&searchid=8554

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stradibarrius, who is on the forum, makes world class violins and also photographs them. Hopefully he will chime in here.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    May be you can find an fretless fender jazz bass on jaco pastorius or rickenbacker double neck on geddy lee or chris squier. But most beatiful bass is alembic from 25 years ago - new instruments are ugly -. You can contact with alembic and get a stanley clark picture.
    But there are more beatiful instruments in bass range , archilute , theorbo or chittarone lutes pictures. If you interested in most beatiful bass you can find on that earth , its oberlinger organ in st nikolai kirsche at romerberg , frankfurt am main germany.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Warm light, soft tones, just shot parts of the instrument and then put the photos on the wall. The viewer will assemble them back into the whole bass.

Kent in SD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin