Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,852   Online: 1106

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Happy Birthday, Walker Evans (1903-1975)

A key influence on a lot of 20th century photographers:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/walker+evans

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got one of his books, "American Photographs". You're right, he was a major influence.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're ever in DC, the National Gallery print archive has a huge collection of his work. Call and make an appointment and they will let you sit and browse through the collection. It's an amazing experience to hold those vintage prints in your hands.

One thing that struck me was how Evans didn't seem to mind if the paper he printed on was cut into a triangle rather than a rectangle! He was obsessed with photography, not necessarily straight lines and the fine print aesthetic.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Still a massive influence today on contemporary 'documentary style' work (his term) and social/cultural landscape.

He pretty much created that ubiquitous visual vocabulary that we've all used at some point; telephone wires and utility poles as formal devices, billboards and advertisements as both graphical and cultural statements, shop fronts and cars as historical anchor points. While Ansel Adams was battling with the concept of 'straight photography', Evans was actually out doing it.

Along with Paul Strand, he's one of the few historical photographers whose work gives me that 'wholesome' feeling. It's like eating a completely satisfying meal.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent work indeed!

Jeff

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have a look at 'Walker Evans and Family' by Peter Galassi [and then check out Arget as well].
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a fan of Walker Evans,but don't think anyone can have a "happy birthday" when they are dead, however you can celebrate the anniversary of their birth if you wish.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Walker Evans was more than a photographer. He delved into the psyche of America:
    the expectations and realities, the roles we inhabit, the unspoken rules we live by,
    the forces of habit, conformity, capitalism, and consumerism. In short, he held up
    a mirror to ourselves and anyone who would follow us.

Hats off to Walker.

Books I own:

american photographs - the standard
    the hungry eye - awesome little book
    walker evans at work - shows how he worked a scene, thoughtful insights
    walker evans and company
    walker evans: decade by decade
    walker evans, the museum of modern art
    Last edited by dasBlute; 11-03-2013 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One of my favorite photographers of all time. There is something special about the simplicity and story telling in his vision. I love his work.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Belated Happy Birthday !!!! Walker Evans and you are mine favorite photographer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin