Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,417   Posts: 1,596,637   Online: 1261

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Daguerre's birthday

On this day, November 18, 1787.- Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre was born.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On this day in 1981 I was born.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    On this day in 1981 I was born.
    Congratulations , junior !!!
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    happy birthday to the two of you !

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Happy birthday Illumiquest and have a copper plate on me.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do not for Mickey Mouse is today too
    O;s mine too.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mickey Mouse and Daguerre sharing the same birthday, now Fox Talbot would appreciate that.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre had nothing to do with the invention of photography. He was simply the Bill gates of his time but he backed the wrong horse. Talbot's positive / negative process is what we all use and celebrate.

David
    www.dsallen.ge

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Allen View Post
    Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre had nothing to do with the invention of photography. He was simply the Bill gates of his time but he backed the wrong horse. Talbot's positive / negative process is what we all use and celebrate.

David
    www.dsallen.ge
    Really? nothing?
    Care to elaborate.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For the first decade and a half of photography (1839- ca.1855) the daguerreotype was THE dominant medium, not displaced until the advent of wet collodion. So to say that Daguerre had nothing to do with the invention of photography is at best horrendously misinformed. Certainly he was more a promoter than an inventor (he owed an intellectual debt to Nicephore Niepce among others), but he did make the connection between silver iodide and mercury as a developing agent, and he did get his process recognized and published before William Henry Fox-Talbot got his recognized. There is a tremendous amount to be said for being first to market, even if your product is flawed/inferior to its successors. And have you ever seen a real live daguerreotype? If you've ever held and contemplated one, you'd not be casting aspersions in his direction for his contributions to photography.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin