Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,875   Online: 991

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Love Nadar but Hippolyte Bayard is an even bigger hero of mine and was a portrait photographer as well. Bayard had a much darker personality than Nadar who must have had a great sense of humour.

Thanks for the link

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Nadar ... must have had a great sense of humour.
    Seemingly he he came up to his name...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i agree mdr hippolyte bayard was wonderful too ...
    like so many people he was never given credit he deserved in the early days of photography
    (from what i have read nadar's brother did a large amount of the work that nadar also gets credit for ... )

too bad someone hasn't republished a collection of bayard's work ... slow photography at its best !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Richard Holmes is free to pursue his hagiolatry of Gaspard-Felix Tournachon aka Nadar however he wants but I think he misunderstands this great man's accomplishments.

Unlike most people in APUG Felix Nadar, for the grand bulk of his career, did no camera work, no darkroom work, and produced no photographs by his own hand. His studio employed "operators" to do framing, focus, and exposures at the camera, a team of assistants running from and to the darkroom with wet plates, and "printers" on the roof of the building contacting out albumen paper. Felix Nadar was a photographic impresario whose precious talent was self promotion and the capacity to attact and schmoose famous sitters to his studio. Without him many iconic images of the European glitterati of the late nineteenth century would not decorate history.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, a movie director does not do things the same, but still he is not considered a impressario.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Well, a movie director does not do things the same, but still he is not considered a impressario.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Richard Holmes is free to pursue his hagiolatry of Gaspard-Felix Tournachon aka Nadar however he wants but I think he misunderstands this great man's accomplishments.

Unlike most people in APUG Felix Nadar, for the grand bulk of his career, did no camera work, no darkroom work, and produced no photographs by his own hand. His studio employed "operators" to do framing, focus, and exposures at the camera, a team of assistants running from and to the darkroom with wet plates, and "printers" on the roof of the building contacting out albumen paper. Felix Nadar was a photographic impresario whose precious talent was self promotion and the capacity to attact and schmoose famous sitters to his studio. Without him many iconic images of the European glitterati of the late nineteenth century would not decorate history.
    i think you give him less credit than he deserves, he wasn't much different than most commercial photographers of "today"

as i mentioned, his brother took a many of the photographs ...... he (nadar) took many of them as well.

do you know many commercial photographers that do / did all their own printing and processing ... everything involved?
    and gave all the credit to everyone involved ? or was it the "headliner" who got the credit ?
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-21-2013 at 09:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin