Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,007   Posts: 1,524,567   Online: 988

Thread: Arimoto Shinya

Shooter
    Medium Format

Arimoto Shinya

I came across the work of Shinya Arimoto a while back. I really like his work shooting on the streets of Tokyo, so I ordered and just received Ariphoto Selection vol. 4 and the images are outstanding. If you like his work you can't go wrong with 100 yen shipped anywhere in the world. (about $10). This is limited to 500 and his previous editions have sold out.

Also a very cool interview here in English:
    http://www.japanexposures.com/2013/0...hinya-arimoto/

Sorry I got his name backwards in the title, mods if you can edit I would appreciate it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've liked his photos for a while now, thanks for the link!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post

Sorry I got his name backwards in the title, mods if you can edit I would appreciate it!
    No, its not backwards, this is the actually the proper order for a Japanese name: Family name first, personal name second. It is the same in many Asian languages. It's only that in the West we have this concept that personal names have to come first and we always try to make everything fit into our concepts ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
    No, its not backwards, this is the actually the proper order for a Japanese name: Family name first, personal name second. It is the same in many Asian languages. It's only that in the West we have this concept that personal names have to come first and we always try to make everything fit into our concepts ...
    I'm not trying to practice cultural hegemony I was just trying to get his name right.

He signed his e-mail to me 'Shinya Arimoto' and on his website (in English, at least) that is also how his name is presented.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting that-it's good to check out some new stuff every now and then!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I'm not trying to practice cultural hegemony I was just trying to get his name right.

He signed his e-mail to me 'Shinya Arimoto' and on his website (in English, at least) that is also how his name is presented.
    Yes, I understand that, my remark was not meant to criticize you, but more out of curiosity or academic interest. Most Japanese, especially those who speak English, are aware that personal names are "the other way round" in the west and will switch their names "pre-emptively" in their communications with Westerners to avoid any confusion. Still, for my ears such a "switched" Japanese name somehow does not sound quite right and is at least mildly irritating, e.g. "Shin'ya Arimoto" sounds for me a bit like "Smith John" would sound for a native English speaker. So, sometimes, when doing translation work into German, I forget to switch the names and this has been the source of some ... err ... confusion in the past ...

Anyway, thanks for the link, I had a look at his website, this is a nice discovery. I like his work quite a lot!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin