Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,708   Online: 921

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Vestal

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Wonderful writer. Always enjoyed his writing in Photo Techniques magazine. I have had some newsletters called Grump on the shelf above my desk and haven't looked at them for many years. I looked today and inside one is a beautiful delicate photo of trees in fog that he sent out to his readers.

Jon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dv.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	78052
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 12-07-2013 at 12:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I have had some newsletters called Grump on the shelf above my desk and haven't looked at them for many years. I looked today and inside one is a beautiful delicate photo of trees in fog that he sent out to his readers.
    Yes, that was a tradition with him - each year around holiday time he would include a little print for all of his newsletter subscribers. For a long time it was a silver print, and then his last few years they were inkjets. They are jewels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Such a very popular name for me in the 60's, 70's and 80's reading all the Photography mags I could, Vestal stands out in my mind to day even.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I eagerly looked forward to the articles he wrote and I read his book. It seemed so much clearer after he explained it. A sad goodbye to a well spent life.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    David leaves behind a wonderful legacy of images and writings. He touched many through his teaching. RIP.
    John Sexton

www.johnsexton.com
    info[at]johnsexton.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So sad. I have had this statement from him on my blog for years..." that he listened to radio because the images were better, and photographed in black and white because the colors were better." I loved that. Sometimes, the only reason I'd buy Phototechniques was to have his column where I could refer to it when I needed to. Great man.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

David Vestal

So sad. I've enjoyed so much of his writings. His column about how what a joke it is for photographers to call themselves "fine art photographers" was brilliant.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David was a fine man and an excellent teacher. His newsletter and yearly picture will be missed. RIP David. You are gone but not forgotten. You taught me that bigger is not always better!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vive Vestal

Wow. I'm a bit blown away.. I'd tried to reach David Vestal several times over the last couple months by phone and I just, today, learned of his passing away last month. Get ready for an unashamedly syrupy post —which will hopefully not diminish its intention to give hommage, because I absolutely adored David Vestal.

David was a true angel even before he died. He did so much to pass along his great body of knowledge and communicate his wise point of view on photographic matters —and in such a clear way— that his place as one of photography's preeminent doyens will be difficult to fill. This kind, quiet, diminutive man was a true giant, and it shouldn't be forgotten that he was instrumental in helping to prolong the production of fiber-based paper at a moment when Kodak had announced they would discontinue it (I verified this with Mike Gristwood of the old Ilford company.. apparently Vestal's "Save FB" writing 'campaign' —and that of Jean Dieuzaide, here in France—, gave Ilford the extra push it needed to bring out their Galerie paper ..which, as I understand it, in turn forced Kodak to keep producing their own line ((Ron Mowrey, your input is welcome on this last point!)). We all owe him.

I first 'met' David years ago by telephone. He sometimes helped me refine articles I submitted to Photo Techniques magazine and his clarity of thought was invaluable. Then, a few years ago, I had the great privilege of hosting him here in Paris, on what I suppose was his only visit. As I saw him in-person for the first time —coming out of customs at Charles de Gaulle airport—, I couldn't help but marvel at this indefatigable, slightly hunched and —yes— brave 80-something-year-old man who had just flown across the Atlantic alone, to arrive in France with his well-used, trusty Canon SLR film camera (FILM, damn it!) hanging from his neck. I'm not ashamed to tell you that I was very moved .. and that the memory of that moment yet brings a tear. Here was a man totally passionate about and devoted to photography, perhaps even "married" to this art as a nun is to Jesus (forgive the corny religious metaphor ... but it's true that I even joked with David that he reminded me of a monk, living a simple life with a seemingly singular goal: promoting good photography). For his Paris visit, I'd found him a small apartment in the Marais district, and we hung out in cafés and went to a couple of exhibitions, including one at the Henri Cartier Bresson Foundation of the work of Lewis Hines. I was fascinated to hear David's story of how his photography teacher, Sid Grossman [and a woman whose name I've forgotten] actually saved Hines' negatives --of some of the very images we were looking at---, after rescuing them from a flooded New York City basement, and how David himself was at one time in charge of holding several of those negatives.

David Vestal wrote well, but obviously he was also a visual communicator, and pretty darn good one at that, too. In both cases, he inspired. I was lucky to have been able to call David my friend. I'll truly miss him ... but thanks, David, for leaving so much behind. Rather than "rest in peace", I'd rather say

Vive Vestal!

Christopher Nisperos

PS - he surely would have edited this post down to five sentences!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris, you don't know how sad I was to hear of this.

I hope you enjoyed your visit will Bill though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin