Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,988   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Vestal

Shooter
    Large Format

David Vestal

"David Vestal passed away this week at home in Bethlehem, Connecticut. Born in Menlo Park, California in 1924, Vestal studied painting at the Art Institute of Chicago before becoming involved in photography in the late 1940s through the Photo League in New York. Rather than working in photographic essays like many of his New York School contemporaries, Vestal captured singular moments of life in the city through his emotive and atmospheric images—a lone figure passing along a snowy sidewalk, a twilight drive over the George Washington Bridge, or the bustling traffic in Flatiron Square at night.

"Vestal received two John Simon Guggenheim Fellowships in photography in 1966 and 1973. He wrote extensively for various photography publications, and published two classic books on photographic craft and printing: The Craft of Photography, 1975, and The Art of Black-and-White Enlarging, 1984. A lifelong educator, his illustrious teaching career included positions at Parsons School of Design, the School of Visual Arts, and Pratt Institute, as well as numerous lectures and workshops around the country. His work is included in such notable public collections as the Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, and the Art Institute of Chicago."

http://www.robertmann.com/news/main.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sad news. Thanks for mentioning it; I had not previously heard. he will be missed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David Vestal said:
    "Compensating for lack of skill with technology is progress toward mediocrity. As technology advances, craftsmanship recedes. As technology increases our possibilities, we use them less resourcefully.
    The one thing we've gained is spontaneity, which is useless without perception".

I always took those words to heart, and it showed that Vestal was a good thinker, going beyond the obvious and not just blindly accepting the norm.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. A sad day for photography.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    too sad;he was one of my favorite athors;never over complicated basic but important subjects; a great educator.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember using his book in college on black white photography 30 years ago. His book left an impression on me as a photography to this day.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sad to hear when on of us dies. Our thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had a joint show with David in the UK November 1993, I shall treasure the print I exchanged with him. Attached is an image I took of him as we sat in a diner on route to his home in 1999, its a bit blurd but as David once said "if its a bad picture it needs to be sharp".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Daved Vestall.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear about his passing. He was great.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He wrote two of the best "how to" books on photography that I have read. I appreciate his contribution to the field. Thanks David.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks and RIP from me too.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin